My Wishlist

Runner-Up Best Overall Blog of 2005!

I'm a down to earth girl who loves to laugh at others...I mean make others laugh.
View my complete profile
Blogroll Me!   Review My Site   Site Feed MySpace Profile Facebook Profile   Friendster Profile

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Art of Getting By and get new posts delivered to your in-box daily!


powered by Bloglet
Subscribe with Bloglines

 

"This is the most exciting day of my life...and I was pulled on stage once to dance at a Bruce Springsteen concert."
30 Rock

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


This blog has been chosen
as a 2005 BEST

 

 

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Write Back Weekend "A Whole New World"

My multi-part TITMT question last week was meant to make you think. It was also meant to get you talking about what you liked about blogging, and what you didn't. As a blogger, I'm from the school of thought that you can learn a lot from other bloggers. I don't blog to compete or to make money (though that would be nice). I blog because I love to write and babble about nonsensical things. It's still amazing to me that there are a handful of people out there that choose to read AOGB of their own free will.

But enough with the introductions. Let's get down to business...

1. How do you attract new people to your blog?

I am a firm believer in the do unto others as you wish they would do unto you. Initially when I started blogging, I networked a lot. I clicked and commented, clicked and commented. I made sure I looked for bloggers who seem like they'd be like-minded, too. and ones that I'd enjoy reading in the long term. Making blog friends, in theory, is a lot easier than making real friends. I rarely walk up to a stranger and make a comment to them, even if I'm thinking say, their shirt is buttoned wrong. In blog land though, all bets are off. Still common courtesy should translate, in my opinion.

2. What do you look for in the blogs you read?


In a nutshell, fancy graphics are nice, but good writing is where it's at. Over the years, I have had a huge variety of blogs on my blog roll. The ones I most relate to though aren't afraid to tackle any topic. They aren't too silly, but they aren't too serious either. They might even write about something as simple as daily observations about life. I don't like too many memes because if you only have memes on your blog, I think your blog becomes in danger of being devoid of any real content. Of course the exception to that rule would be the blogs that call themselves memes blogs because well, duh. Basically, I like the idea of clicking on a good writer's blog and not knowing what I'm going to get, but knowing it's going to be good.

3. What excites you? (In blog land, that is:)
I get excited when I think up a really random idea for a post, out of the blue and it clicks with the reader, too. Sometimes I don't have the urge to write because nothing has inspired me to write about. Most of the time though the world just spinning creates enough drama for me to come up with something. In turn, I also like when I get excited about another blogger's post. I love when other people write about random things, like me. I guess you could say I specialize in the quirky, but realistic.

4. What turns you off?

I don't like it when bloggers fall off the face of the Earth without an explanation. Everyone disappears from time to time, and if you post a note that you're busy, that's cool. But there are so many bloggers out there that stop blogging, cold turkey, for months at a time. I don't get it. It's just not in my nature not to explain my actions, even if only five people cared about them.

I also don't like bloggers that only think of themselves. They never answer questions asked or reciprocate by visiting my blog. I almost feel the same about people whose comments don't show that they care at all. It's hard, I know, to keep up with all comments, but if you've been blogging for awhile you get a feel for who are the well intentioned bloggers and who are just in it for themselves.

Finally I don't like bloggers who are disillusioned or exhibit poor sportsmanship. There are significant amount of blogs I've come across where they write about their day to day existences in a mundane way, but wonder why people don't visit and are weary of any constructive criticism. There are other bloggers that post about how they feel sorry for themselves because they didn't win this award or that award which in the grand scheme of things, means nothing anyhow. Finally, there are the mean-spirited bloggers who seem to cause drama where ever they go. These groups of bloggers I could do without because it gives the rest of blogging a bad name.

5. How do you discover new blogs?

Sometimes I outright ask for your suggestions which I'm probably going to be doing again for TITMT so watch out! But like most of you, I tend to discover most new blogs by visiting blogs that I already know of. I honestly think this is the best way to discover new blogs. From there, I might see a comment above mine that I liked or browse through their blog roll, if I have the time that is. t's like going to Amazon and previewing an album. Up comes the message, "If you like" _________, you might also like _______." Birds of a feather flock together. The same can be said of the blogging world, too.

I find it most gratifying when a new blogger finds me and tells me how much they love AOGB. It's so cool to me to think of the "six degrees" type scenario that exists out there, even in the blog world.

 

 


Blog Roll [−]

Blogging Chicks [−]

Blogger Chicks [−]

Blog Linker [−]





Google
Futon Critic
IMDB
Melodic.net
80's TV Themes
Slyck
The Onion
Television Without Pity
Modern Humorist
Best Week Ever Blog
American Idol


Carnival-small

Who Links Here

Listed on Blogwise
Join BloggerChicks
Blog Flux Directory
ESL and EFL Blogs
Best news blogs

Nubbit Blog Directory

Bloggy Award

TFS 100 TopBlogs

Top Blogs Personal Personal Blogs Personal Blogs Top 

blogs

 

  online