My Wishlist

Runner-Up Best Overall Blog of 2005!

I'm a down to earth girl who loves to laugh at others...I mean make others laugh.
View my complete profile
Blogroll Me!   Review My Site   Site Feed MySpace Profile Facebook Profile   Friendster Profile

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Art of Getting By and get new posts delivered to your in-box daily!


powered by Bloglet
Subscribe with Bloglines

 

"This is the most exciting day of my life...and I was pulled on stage once to dance at a Bruce Springsteen concert."
30 Rock

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


This blog has been chosen
as a 2005 BEST

 

 

Monday, June 28, 2004

The Name Game

The other day I blogged about Courtney Cox and David Arquette's new baby and why in the hell they named her Coco. A friend of mine told me that they named the baby Coco after COurtney COx...get it? Hmm...cute.

Well here's what I DON'T get, if we are in the business of naming our children ridiculous, parentally inspired names, why not at least give dada a little credit? I mean if anything, Croquette would have been a wiser, equally ridiculous name choice.

In other name news, friends of mine were talking this weekend about the names they want to name their children. My one friend wants to name her child (if she had a girl) Magdalene, after the church she was married in. After hearing total silence from the peanut gallery she quickly (and rightfully) picked up that the group wasn't really digging the name. She tried adding that they would only call her Maggie. Yeah that only marginally made the situation any better cause her birth given name would still be Magdalene, thus making her the butt of the joke for years to come.

My other friend said she always wanted to name her daughter (notice how everyone assumes they are having girls) Anna Grace. Her husband-to-be told her it ain't gonna happen. She was like, "But why?" He said "Cause her name would be Anna Hein." (his last name). Ahh yeah. Girls you can't always make these decisions, as much as you would like to WITHOUT having the husband (or baby's daddy) in mind first.

Plus, what is it with these women and the names of THEIR babies? I mean I know the guys don't usually care as much about these things, but they should have some say I mean they were there...hopefully anyway.

It all reminded me of the great SNL skit with Nicholas Cage and whomever played his wife. They were trying to figure out what to name the baby and he had a reason for not using virtually every name they came up with. At the end of the skit it all comes together (as so few SNL skits these days RARELY do) when you find out his name is Asswepi and everyone has always called him Asswipe. Hee Hee.

So all I'm saying is, if you have kids, THINK... LONG...TERM. Cause unless they grow up to be celebrities, most likely these names will be with them FOREVER. Don't go with what's cute or in at the moment or because you happened to read the ingredients on a Tresemme shampoo label. These are people damnit which yes, I'm painfully aware rhymes with Janet. Like I haven't heard THAT one fifty five million times in my life.

 

 


Blog Roll [−]

Blogging Chicks [−]

Blogger Chicks [−]

Blog Linker [−]





Google
Futon Critic
IMDB
Melodic.net
80's TV Themes
Slyck
The Onion
Television Without Pity
Modern Humorist
Best Week Ever Blog
American Idol


Carnival-small

Who Links Here

Listed on Blogwise
Join BloggerChicks
Blog Flux Directory
ESL and EFL Blogs
Best news blogs

Nubbit Blog Directory

Bloggy Award

TFS 100 TopBlogs

Top Blogs Personal Personal Blogs Personal Blogs Top 

blogs

 

  online