My Wishlist

Runner-Up Best Overall Blog of 2005!

I'm a down to earth girl who loves to laugh at others...I mean make others laugh.
View my complete profile
Blogroll Me!   Review My Site   Site Feed MySpace Profile Facebook Profile   Friendster Profile

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Art of Getting By and get new posts delivered to your in-box daily!


powered by Bloglet
Subscribe with Bloglines

 

"This is the most exciting day of my life...and I was pulled on stage once to dance at a Bruce Springsteen concert."
30 Rock

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


This blog has been chosen
as a 2005 BEST

 

 

Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Flesh & Blood, Stuff & Nonsense

What is it about family that makes them so special?

Depending on who you are, you probably have found yourself to be close at one time or another to a mother, a father, a sister or brother, grandmother, grandfather and possibly an aunt, uncle or cousin.

And no, for argument's sake your pet(s) doesn't count.

Now take away the ones you are closest to and you are left with the extended lot.

How come so many of us begrudingly invite these individuals into our lives, attend family gatherings and accept behaviors we wouldn't accept from strangers simply because they are family?

Now accepting less than stellar attitudes from immediate family or from those we have always been close to is one thing, but when you've never been close to a family member, what's the point in starting now?

My uncle and his new wife came to visit this weekend. The uncle, I should add, who is also apparently my Godfather, in name only, however, considering the man was never really in my life. His not being there hasn't been an upset to me though considering I never gave it much consideration. In fact, if anything, it would probably be MORE upsetting to have him around than not.

Here's a quick snapshot. When I was 13, I made my confirmation. This same uncle went up to a friend of mine and congratulated HER. Talk about being present and accounted for. I can't take it too personally though because the truth of the matter is he doesn't know much more about his own kids.

Then there are the family members who I have nothing against, some of whom I'd like to know better, but in "Cats in the Cradle" like fashion, we've never had the time. We'll get together then. We're gonna have a good time... then.

I guess part of the problem is I was always considerably younger than the rest of my cousins and since I am an only child, I've always been rather slow to warm up to people. Usually by the time I feel comfortable around certain family members it's time for said event to end and by the next time I see them, the awkward conversation stage must be conquered yet again. But just because I'm shy, it doesn't mean I'm not forming an opinion or impression. In fact, being quiet has its advantages that way.

And then I got to thinking that some of my fellow bloggers know things about me even my closest friends and family don't know. As for what this says about me, I'm not exactly sure.

Maybe you can help me figure that one out.


 

 


Blog Roll [−]

Blogging Chicks [−]

Blogger Chicks [−]

Blog Linker [−]





Google
Futon Critic
IMDB
Melodic.net
80's TV Themes
Slyck
The Onion
Television Without Pity
Modern Humorist
Best Week Ever Blog
American Idol


Carnival-small

Who Links Here

Listed on Blogwise
Join BloggerChicks
Blog Flux Directory
ESL and EFL Blogs
Best news blogs

Nubbit Blog Directory

Bloggy Award

TFS 100 TopBlogs

Top Blogs Personal Personal Blogs Personal Blogs Top 

blogs

 

  online