My Wishlist

Runner-Up Best Overall Blog of 2005!

I'm a down to earth girl who loves to laugh at others...I mean make others laugh.
View my complete profile
Blogroll Me!   Review My Site   Site Feed MySpace Profile Facebook Profile   Friendster Profile

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Art of Getting By and get new posts delivered to your in-box daily!


powered by Bloglet
Subscribe with Bloglines

 

"This is the most exciting day of my life...and I was pulled on stage once to dance at a Bruce Springsteen concert."
30 Rock

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


This blog has been chosen
as a 2005 BEST

 

 

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Training Days

As a child, I always knew school was starting soon once I started to have dreams about going back. I began to wonder things like...

What will my new class be like?
Will my school be nice?
Will I make new friends?
Will I get a lot of homework?


Although my childhood is now but a "distant" memory, I realized the same apprehensions suddenly apply all over again.

Bright n' early Monday morning I began my week long teacher training. The school where I will be working is beautiful, it's the neighborhood that takes some getting used to. I guess the old adage is true. You can take the sheltered, suburban girl out of the suburbs, but not the suburbs out of the girl.

So far we learned a lot about the town, the district and the schools. All I know is so far I've seen more one-way streets and alternate side of the street parking than I ever have before.

Yesterday I got into MY classroom for the very first time. Instantly I realized space would not be an issue, but then there's the teensy, tiny matter of organization and the guy who I'm replacing.

Basically, he had none.

Things were thrown everywhere, boxes broken, books in random filing cabinets throughout the room. It is complete and utter chaos. So, I stated doing what any first year teacher who has no idea what to do but feels compelled to do something would do- I started arranging desks and handing out supplies like I had a distinct vision in mind.

Twenty-four arranged desks later it was time to tackle those pesky closets and filing cabinets. But alas, there is an unforseen bump in the road. While normally we can stay in the school till late at night, they are closing early this week to clean the floors. I'm in training this whole week, culminating with Friday's bus tour of the city, followed by a visit from the town's mayor.

Oh yeah, these guys don't mess around.

So that leaves me with three FULL days next week to give order to the disorder. To disinfect the infected. To look like I know what the hell I'm doing, basically.

Who knew I'd be in the Amazing Race of workplace readiness?

 

 


Blog Roll [−]

Blogging Chicks [−]

Blogger Chicks [−]

Blog Linker [−]





Google
Futon Critic
IMDB
Melodic.net
80's TV Themes
Slyck
The Onion
Television Without Pity
Modern Humorist
Best Week Ever Blog
American Idol


Carnival-small

Who Links Here

Listed on Blogwise
Join BloggerChicks
Blog Flux Directory
ESL and EFL Blogs
Best news blogs

Nubbit Blog Directory

Bloggy Award

TFS 100 TopBlogs

Top Blogs Personal Personal Blogs Personal Blogs Top 

blogs

 

  online