My Wishlist

Runner-Up Best Overall Blog of 2005!

I'm a down to earth girl who loves to laugh at others...I mean make others laugh.
View my complete profile
Blogroll Me!   Review My Site   Site Feed MySpace Profile Facebook Profile   Friendster Profile

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Art of Getting By and get new posts delivered to your in-box daily!


powered by Bloglet
Subscribe with Bloglines

 

"This is the most exciting day of my life...and I was pulled on stage once to dance at a Bruce Springsteen concert."
30 Rock

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


This blog has been chosen
as a 2005 BEST

 

 

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Because I Said So

As many of you already know, Ash Wednesday was last week. I'm not a hard core Catholic and frankly, I've never been as evidenced here. So, it probably comes as no surprise that I did not go for ashes that day.

That morning though, my mother reminded me to NOT eat meat that day. In fact, if we are being accurate, Ash Wednesday is supposed to be a day of fasting. Of course, I sighed upon hearing this news. Don't get me wrong, I am 27 year old grown woman who can eat whatever she damn well pleases, thank you very much. That said, have you ever been victimized by Catholic guilt? If you have, you know the burden that comes along with being reminded not to do something and doing it anyway.

So, begrudingly, I stayed away from meat.

It's not even that I need meat in my diet, cause I really don't. I just don't like being told to do something OR not to do something and given a reason of "just because".

A few years ago, I asked my mom why we have the no meat rule and guess what? She couldn't answer me.

What does it symbolize? I mean I get the Lent, giving up one thing- thing, but no meat? I need the facts and nothing but the facts. Who? What? When? Where? Why? and How? 'Cause see if you gave me a reason I might be more inclined to play along, assuming the rule doesn't really deserve a modern spin by now. But she couldn't tell me, which is just silly because it's a rule she's followed her own life all because of the two dreaded words, "just because".

So now, we are in the midst of the 2nd of wave of no meat eating during Lent. No meat Fridays till Easter. Thursdays? Cool. Mondays? No problem. Then, on Easter you can apparently chow down on all the lamb, chicken, roast pork, venison etc. you want until the cows come home. Then you can eat them, too. Suddenly it's no longer sacrilege.

In the meanwhile, last Friday for some strange reason, mom forget this rule. Evil me didn't remind her. I wanted her to see she wasn't going to burn in hell simply because she had a grilled chicken sandwich. That no, she wouldn't be a better person if she had just eaten the bread.

When I finally reminded her it was Lent, she had a remarkably calm attitude about it. All she said was, "Well, everyone makes mistakes." Followed by this little gem, "I hear the rule only applies until your 59 years old anyway."

What the &*#@?!

And so it goes, yet another "rule" is made and followed for No. Good. Reason.

 

 


Blog Roll [−]

Blogging Chicks [−]

Blogger Chicks [−]

Blog Linker [−]





Google
Futon Critic
IMDB
Melodic.net
80's TV Themes
Slyck
The Onion
Television Without Pity
Modern Humorist
Best Week Ever Blog
American Idol


Carnival-small

Who Links Here

Listed on Blogwise
Join BloggerChicks
Blog Flux Directory
ESL and EFL Blogs
Best news blogs

Nubbit Blog Directory

Bloggy Award

TFS 100 TopBlogs

Top Blogs Personal Personal Blogs Personal Blogs Top 

blogs

 

  online