My Wishlist

Runner-Up Best Overall Blog of 2005!

I'm a down to earth girl who loves to laugh at others...I mean make others laugh.
View my complete profile
Blogroll Me!   Review My Site   Site Feed MySpace Profile Facebook Profile   Friendster Profile

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Art of Getting By and get new posts delivered to your in-box daily!


powered by Bloglet
Subscribe with Bloglines

 

"This is the most exciting day of my life...and I was pulled on stage once to dance at a Bruce Springsteen concert."
30 Rock

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


This blog has been chosen
as a 2005 BEST

 

 

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Nothing To Write Home About With

Now that this year is finally coming to a close (the last day is the 27th) I can begin to look back and reflect upon things I've done this year. Some I've done well and proud of, while others I hope to learn from and tweak to make better.

In some ways, that's what makes being a first year teacher so great. No one expects you to be perfect just yet. Next year, however, it's a whole new ball game. Leave it to me to get hired the first year my district had to do some belt tightening. They also had to let one girl go that I started with. Meanwhile the rest of us non-tenured folks sit around, feeling like a contestant on American Idol, waiting to hear if we are safe.

While I haven't gotten official word, I can safely assume I'll return next year by this point. Still, I personally think it's common courtesy to officially let the teachers in my boat let us know where we stand, but I digress.

So while I can assume I'm safe, this doesn't mean I'll necessarily be teaching the same grade next year. This would sorta suck because you start to develop a groove the longer you teach a grade- plus I wouldn't even get to appreciate all the the new goodies I ordered yet.:(

One problen I have yet to solve is the mystery of the lost pencils. Try as I might, I simply cannot get children to take care of their pencils, and, as a result, I go through them like water.

For awhile, I was putting pencils out as I got them, but then within 15 minutes I would notice they would all be gone. I was torn because somehow, there would still be kids that needed pencils. Now I wouldn't get mad if children were legitimately, dilligently working and needed new pencils, but most of the time this just ain't the case. I know this because at the end of the day, after the kids have left the building, I find tons of pencils lying all over the floor.

This is when I start to get MAD. I realize they are only kids, but how seriously, how hard is it to take your pencil and PUT IT IN YOUR PENCIL BOX?! It shows responsibility, a quality that children need to learn, the sooner the better.

But alas, I remain torn. I tried demanding kids bring in their own pencils (and paper) from home and that has helped, but not all do, and not even all can. And the dilemma still remains. I can't withhold pencils because kids NEED pencils because school - pencils = no work done.

So I'm writing this post to pick the brains of my trusty readers. If you have any ideas I might not have thought of regarding pencil conservation, please send them my way. I realize this year is shot to hell, but next year's not. I'll print out any good suggestions I get. I would jot them down, but...

 

 


Blog Roll [−]

Blogging Chicks [−]

Blogger Chicks [−]

Blog Linker [−]





Google
Futon Critic
IMDB
Melodic.net
80's TV Themes
Slyck
The Onion
Television Without Pity
Modern Humorist
Best Week Ever Blog
American Idol


Carnival-small

Who Links Here

Listed on Blogwise
Join BloggerChicks
Blog Flux Directory
ESL and EFL Blogs
Best news blogs

Nubbit Blog Directory

Bloggy Award

TFS 100 TopBlogs

Top Blogs Personal Personal Blogs Personal Blogs Top 

blogs

 

  online