My Wishlist

Runner-Up Best Overall Blog of 2005!

I'm a down to earth girl who loves to laugh at others...I mean make others laugh.
View my complete profile
Blogroll Me!   Review My Site   Site Feed MySpace Profile Facebook Profile   Friendster Profile

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Art of Getting By and get new posts delivered to your in-box daily!


powered by Bloglet
Subscribe with Bloglines

 

"This is the most exciting day of my life...and I was pulled on stage once to dance at a Bruce Springsteen concert."
30 Rock

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


This blog has been chosen
as a 2005 BEST

 

 

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Wanted, Dead or Alive

So I don't know if you know, but apparently, Luther Vandross died a few days ago.

Being the quintessential out of touch news person I can be at times, I got my news from Swan Shadow. I know many people are saddened by this and in a way, I am too, but sad was not the first emotion I felt. Instead I felt one reaction and one reaction only,

"Didn't Luther Vandross already die?"


Before you go and get angry at me for the horrible person I am, let's review all I know about Luther Vandross, k?

1. He's a popular R&B singer whose career took off in the eighties, due to his silky smooth make out music for the masses. Wait. Scratch that. He was a a popular R&B singer whose career took off in the eighties, due to his silky smooth make out music for the masses.

2. He was good friends with Oprah, I think.

3. At times he was a super sized Luther, other times a mini Luther.

This concludes all that I know about Mr. Vandross.

Wait, there's one more thing. I remember him becoming very ill a few years ago after suffering from a stroke. Now that is the time I recall being sad. See, I did get sad, so there. Only problem is, I think I thought he never actually recovered. Something in my mind switched over and I believed he had already died. I know, it sounds horrible. Just ask poor Abe Vigoda who has to deal with shit like that all the time, even before his ironic brush with death after a plane crash a few years ago.

I'd like to say this is the first time this has happened, but I'd be lying. For a few years I actually had to stop and take pause that Frank Sinatra did indeed die. Same with Marlon Brando, along with a few others. It's the ones that you don't expect to die that you really remember. Karen Carpenter. John Candy. Kurt Cobain. I can tell with certainty that all of these people are dead. This is because their deathes were unexpected and thus, untimely. But men like Brando and Sinatra, they lived full lives and are legendary, so in a way eventhough the men are dead, they're never actually dead, if you catch my drift.

Which brings me back to Vandross. It would be shallow and hypocritical for me to end this post with words like "he will be missed" for obvious reasons. I mean I didn't know much about the man, and considering all the Christmas cards that never started coming 28 years ago, I can't quite say this is because we lost touch. But I mean I feel bad for his family, and his friends. And his fans. And for Oprah, I think. Cause no matter what, a loss is a loss, plain and simple and he truly was a talented man who went too soon.

I do wish had something more profound to say. Come back to me when it's Vigoda's time, k?

 

 


Blog Roll [−]

Blogging Chicks [−]

Blogger Chicks [−]

Blog Linker [−]





Google
Futon Critic
IMDB
Melodic.net
80's TV Themes
Slyck
The Onion
Television Without Pity
Modern Humorist
Best Week Ever Blog
American Idol


Carnival-small

Who Links Here

Listed on Blogwise
Join BloggerChicks
Blog Flux Directory
ESL and EFL Blogs
Best news blogs

Nubbit Blog Directory

Bloggy Award

TFS 100 TopBlogs

Top Blogs Personal Personal Blogs Personal Blogs Top 

blogs

 

  online