My Wishlist

Runner-Up Best Overall Blog of 2005!

I'm a down to earth girl who loves to laugh at others...I mean make others laugh.
View my complete profile
Blogroll Me!   Review My Site   Site Feed MySpace Profile Facebook Profile   Friendster Profile

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Art of Getting By and get new posts delivered to your in-box daily!


powered by Bloglet
Subscribe with Bloglines

 

"This is the most exciting day of my life...and I was pulled on stage once to dance at a Bruce Springsteen concert."
30 Rock

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


This blog has been chosen
as a 2005 BEST

 

 

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Fallen Idol

So a few people have asked me why I have yet to talk about American Idol this season.

In the past you might have recalled me talking about it. I never excessively wrote about it, but of course, I always added my two cents. However, in the past, I have always been excited about watching American Idol. In fact, I sorta pride myself on doing a pretty good job at picking out the ones to watch. I loved seeing the world fall in love with Kelly Clarkson. I rejoiced in rooting for the underdog that was Clay Aiken. I supported country music in the likes of Carrie Underwood. I screamed with despair when Chris Daughtry was sent home too soon. Yes, with the exception of that Fantasia/Diana DeGarmo face off, American Idol I have worshiped.

But then the AI 2007 season kicked off and something strange happened. Right from the door I panicked. This was because when it came to Kelly, Clay, Carrie and Chris, I picked them out as favorites as early on in the audition process. I know not all of you have faith in my talent scouting abilities. You'll just have to trust me when I say that I'm telling the truth.

So this year when it came time to break it down audition style, I noticed that no one really STOOD OUT, head and shoulders above the rest. The only other time I had this feeling was the season where Fantasia Barrino eventually won. If you read between the lines, we all know how I feel about that. I was afraid that American Idol Six was going to be like Fantasia's season, part two. Now that we are down to the top ten, it looks like my worst fears are being confirmed.

One thing that really gets me is how AI adds more and more bad auditions every year. This year we had weeks upon weeks of out of tune "singing". Then we finally made it to the 48. The 48 were dwindled down to the 24 in one night. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a singing competition. Why are we spending more time on people who cannot sing rather than seeing people who actually can?

Eventually we made it to the top twenty-four. Whatever. I'm looking at the top 12 girls and the 12 boys and I found myself saying "Huh? Who? What now?" a hell of a lot this year. Sure, there were some people's face that I recognized. Yes, there were some names that rang a bell, too. But more often than not it was like playing some grand childhood game of Memory. I would turn one card over, recognize the face, and never find the match. Man, could that game get frutrating at times. Now you can see how I feel about watching AI.

During the top twenty-four performances a few singers did manage to stand out to me. Actually I'm not sure you'd really call it "standing out" considering no one really wowed me that much. Instead I'd have to say that a few of them "stood a little differently than the rest". There. That's better. Those people included girls like Jordin "Ugly Betty" Sparks, Melinda "I Have No Neck But I Have One Big Voice" Doolittle and Lakisha "Single Mom" Jones. The boys that caught my eye were Chris "Don't Call Me Jack Osbourne" Sligh, Blake "Beatboxing" Lewis and Phil "I Look Ten Times Better When I Wear A Hat" Stacey. Those were my favorites in the beginning and they remain my favorites today. Somehow there's something "been there, done that" about the girls. The boys, meanwhile, have individuality on their sides, but time will tell if they have IT. Still, when someone wrongfully goes home because of Sanjaya "the Indian El Debarge" Malakar, I simply shrug my shoulders and move on.

So there you have it. I finally wrote about why AI isn't really worth writing about this year. Don't get me wrong. I think these people are talented. I guess I just never felt enough UMPH to really write about such talent. EIther that I am getting too old for this crap.

You choose.

 

 


Blog Roll [−]

Blogging Chicks [−]

Blogger Chicks [−]

Blog Linker [−]





Google
Futon Critic
IMDB
Melodic.net
80's TV Themes
Slyck
The Onion
Television Without Pity
Modern Humorist
Best Week Ever Blog
American Idol


Carnival-small

Who Links Here

Listed on Blogwise
Join BloggerChicks
Blog Flux Directory
ESL and EFL Blogs
Best news blogs

Nubbit Blog Directory

Bloggy Award

TFS 100 TopBlogs

Top Blogs Personal Personal Blogs Personal Blogs Top 

blogs

 

  online