My Wishlist

Runner-Up Best Overall Blog of 2005!

I'm a down to earth girl who loves to laugh at others...I mean make others laugh.
View my complete profile
Blogroll Me!   Review My Site   Site Feed MySpace Profile Facebook Profile   Friendster Profile

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Art of Getting By and get new posts delivered to your in-box daily!


powered by Bloglet
Subscribe with Bloglines

 

"This is the most exciting day of my life...and I was pulled on stage once to dance at a Bruce Springsteen concert."
30 Rock

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


This blog has been chosen
as a 2005 BEST

 

 

Monday, October 01, 2007

Write Back Weekend " We Don't Need Another Hero"

When I sat down to write my answer to last week's TITMT question I realized something. Superpowers are like potato chips...it's hard to pick just one. I borrowed that one from an old film strip on fire safety starring Dick Van Dyke on you can substitute 'superpowers' for 'smoke alarms'. Still, the sentiment remains the same.

If you initially acquire a superpower I imagine the first reaction would be one of disbelief. You know the "look at what's happened to me, I can't believe it myself" school of thought so aptly described by the Greatest American Hero. But soon there after I'd imagine that reluctance would give way to abundance and suddenly, you'd want it all and you'd want it NOW.

This is why it is easy to fall into the "grant three wishes, wish for more wishes" way of thinking on this one. I attribute that to acquiring power itself. If you watch Heroes at all, Peter's "absorb all" power that Becky eluded to falls under this heading and is tempting to request. Once many people attain power, they forget what it was like to once have been the little guy. I suppose to some extent it's human nature, but there are always extremes. Just think about a boss or two who I'm sure you have crossed paths with and you'll know what I mean.

When I asked the question initially, I really didn't have an answer in mine. Then I read some of yours and I have to admit, I read some pretty creative responses. So much so that for the first time ever, I think I'm going to do a top five favorite superpowers listed by all of you instead of just finding one of my own to write about.

1. Marty said..."To snuff out bull shit. I guess that would make me Bullshitman. I hope that name isn't copyrighted as yet."

Nat chose the Lie Detector which is pretty close to BS detector. Either way, I think I have been honing this skill for years actually. You're training takes place by teaching elementary school.

2. Dawn said..."Honestly, I just want to be able to teleport. That would ROCK."

Teleportation reminds me of Back to the Future and time travel itself is the ultimate rush. The idea that we could go back in time to undo our wrong doings or go into the future and avoid mistakes we had yet to make is just too delicious to even imagine, but I'll try.

3. The Write Jerry aka Bent Sense had the most creatively robust answer..."I've always wanted to be TimeLine, The Emperor of Time, Space & Dimension! I'd be a benevolent manipulator of history and the cosmos."

I think this might fall under the same heading as teleportation, but it's extravagant detail and ornate wording suckered me in on impact.

4. My first choice..."To be able to control people and things via hypnosis."

I know there are people who claim to be able to hypnotize people, but I'm talking in a put under your spell sorta way. Some might call that witchcraft. I call that awesome.

5. My second choice...To be invisible at a moment's notice.

I always thought it would be so cool to be that fly on the wall. Imagine all that you could see and hear. You'd know if people were really talking about you behind your back just like you always wondered. You'd also know if crimes were committed, be that big or large, because no one would know you were there. I was really shy in high school. It was as close to being invisible as a real, live person can get. As a result, I was privy to a lot of information I shouldn't have been. I rest my case.

Of course the ideal superpower would be the turbo combo of those mentioned above. But like I said, I'd settle for one thing that's super. Beggars can't be choosers.

 

 


Blog Roll [−]

Blogging Chicks [−]

Blogger Chicks [−]

Blog Linker [−]





Google
Futon Critic
IMDB
Melodic.net
80's TV Themes
Slyck
The Onion
Television Without Pity
Modern Humorist
Best Week Ever Blog
American Idol


Carnival-small

Who Links Here

Listed on Blogwise
Join BloggerChicks
Blog Flux Directory
ESL and EFL Blogs
Best news blogs

Nubbit Blog Directory

Bloggy Award

TFS 100 TopBlogs

Top Blogs Personal Personal Blogs Personal Blogs Top 

blogs

 

  online