My Wishlist

Runner-Up Best Overall Blog of 2005!

I'm a down to earth girl who loves to laugh at others...I mean make others laugh.
View my complete profile
Blogroll Me!   Review My Site   Site Feed MySpace Profile Facebook Profile   Friendster Profile

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Art of Getting By and get new posts delivered to your in-box daily!


powered by Bloglet
Subscribe with Bloglines

 

"This is the most exciting day of my life...and I was pulled on stage once to dance at a Bruce Springsteen concert."
30 Rock

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


This blog has been chosen
as a 2005 BEST

 

 

Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Is This Thing On?

A reality TV post...as per request.

Lately I have become a reality TV conspiracy theorist. I find myself watching, if only to look for all that is so not real with the so-called reality.

Since summer TV usually gives me the doldrums, I find there is little or nothing to watch when nighttime rolls around. Last summer though I did pick up a weekly habit of watching NBC's Last Comic Standing.
Call me
  • naive


  • but at the time, I was actually still in the "gee golly" mindset of thinking the best person SURELY will win. But I have been through too many reality disappointments and setups since. This year I returned OLDER, WISER and yet still watching...

    REALITY TV.

    So, this season I tune in, full well knowing there was a little controversy surrounding the (ahem) casting of the show. For those of you who don't know, LCS (I'm abberviating not to be hip, but to save space and time, k?) is a reality show hosted by Jay Mohr where they allegedly scour the country in search for the funniest, in a relatively unknown sense, person in America. Last year's winner was Dat Phan. Last year's losers were ALL also ten times funny than...Dat Phan.

    In an effort to avoid a repeat of Dat Phan's triumph, NBC exec's decided to get smart. In a full proof plan, they held their nationwide search. However, in an interesting twist of events they picked the 10 least interesting, but more importantly LEAST FUNNY COMEDIANS they could have, and put them in a house together. People of which by the way it was obvious they had pre selected even before traipsing across America. Of course we have yet to see who will have the last laugh, not to mention the first actual joke.

    What happens when you get 10 struggling comics in a house together? Apparently ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. The funny thing is they picked people who were already like sorta famous in a you've-seen-their-faces-but-you-don't-know-their-names-and-laughed-here-and-there-but-never-expected-to-see-them- again-EVER-kinda-way."

    Take my personal fave, Ant.

    Here's my problem with Ant. All, and I mean ALL, Of his humor revolves around one topic and one topic only, himself and his sexuality. I don't care who you are, if you're humor is situational then YOU are not funny. Sure you might have some good jokes, but a good joke or two does not a funny PERSON make. (By the way, if anyone has Jeff Foxworthy's email, I'd like to cc him on this.)

    Here's the other problem: What is up with the lack of good female comediannes out there? Are we to believe Tammy "the mobster" Pescatelli, Kathleen "the mother type" Madigan, and Bonnie "the skuzzy twenty something chick" McFarlane are SERIOUSLY the funniest, unsigned female acts? As Hall and Oates once said, "Say It Isn't So!"

    Some have said that the show was cast based on the drama factor or basically, who would cause the most problems in the house. See it's ironic cause FINALLY there's something that's funny. Hell, if I wanted to see that I wouldn't have been watching what I THOUGHT was supposed to be the search for America's funniest new comedian/ne.

    I guess the joke's on me.



     

     


    Blog Roll [−]

    Blogging Chicks [−]

    Blogger Chicks [−]

    Blog Linker [−]





    Google
    Futon Critic
    IMDB
    Melodic.net
    80's TV Themes
    Slyck
    The Onion
    Television Without Pity
    Modern Humorist
    Best Week Ever Blog
    American Idol


    Carnival-small

    Who Links Here

    Listed on Blogwise
    Join BloggerChicks
    Blog Flux Directory
    ESL and EFL Blogs
    Best news blogs

    Nubbit Blog Directory

    Bloggy Award

    TFS 100 TopBlogs

    Top Blogs Personal Personal Blogs Personal Blogs Top 

blogs

     

      online