My Wishlist

Runner-Up Best Overall Blog of 2005!

I'm a down to earth girl who loves to laugh at others...I mean make others laugh.
View my complete profile
Blogroll Me!   Review My Site   Site Feed MySpace Profile Facebook Profile   Friendster Profile

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Art of Getting By and get new posts delivered to your in-box daily!


powered by Bloglet
Subscribe with Bloglines

 

"This is the most exciting day of my life...and I was pulled on stage once to dance at a Bruce Springsteen concert."
30 Rock

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


This blog has been chosen
as a 2005 BEST

 

 

Friday, August 05, 2005

Fight For Your Right To Party

28 is a hard age to be. I can't say if it's a harder age than 40 cause well, I've never been 40. But I can say with certainty that it is a harder age than say 5. I can say this because for most people, 5 is a great age. You are in kindergarten. Everything is fun. The only bad part is you don't know it...yet. You won't know it until you reach, well 28. Life sucks that way.

For me 28, is a hard age to be because you are stuck in that "I'm Not A Girl, Not Yet A Woman" phase Britney Spears so beautifully exposed a few years back. I realize not all 28 year olds feel this way. However, this particular 28 year old does. I still look like a little kid, although the older I get the more I realize this isn't such a bad thing. I like it when people refer to me as a girl and I hate it when people refer to me as maam. Ugh.

But there are many rites of passage that come with becoming an adult. College graduation. Your first job. Getting engaged. Marrying. Owning a home...etc. The bestest thing about all of these milestones is that everytime you achieve one, you get to have another party to honor the occassion.

Most of my friends have had one or two if not more of these occassions. And I'm happy for them and their good fortune. Of course I also realize that their good fortune means it will ultimately cost me a fortune.

I mean I'm not going all "bah humbug" about it, but really. If you are a girl who hasn't had many of those milestones occur yet you start to get frustrated. It's the always the bridesmaid, never the bride scenario. Maybe guys feel this way too, I really don't know. It's also the reason why I think so many people decide to get married and have babies and all of that stuff. Because they know that in doing so, they also get to get gifts.

But why should you have to get engaged or have a child to be worthy of gift getting? Let me once again point you to the age of 5. When you're 5, you simply smile and voila! you get a gift. You sat in your chair today? Here's a Barbie. You finished all of your dinner? How about we go to the carnival? As a culture we are predisposed to associate gift getting with doing something right. So naturally once the gift getting stops, you start to equate it with doing something wrong.

This is why I'm proposing a revolution. I think more people should have "Why? Because We Like You" parties. These are parties for people who haven't had the opportunity to celebrate what is otherwise seen as an accepted social celebration.

There's no birthday. No new digs. No joining of two lives to speak of. It's just you, celebrating that you made it this far and that you are a relatively good person that your friends would like to celebrate over veggie dip and various alcoholic beverages. There's also far less opportunity for other people who haven't had those milestones to come to parties such as these. They know that in doing so, they won't feel unnecessarily inadequate about their lack of milestones. Plus the fact they can also turn around and do the very same thing next weekend.

This probably sounds like an extremely selfish proposition, but I actually think if it were widely accepted, it would be seen as the exact opposite. Helen Slater in The Legend of Billie Jean once said, "Fair is Fair!" And really, that's all I'm saying.

What are you waiting for? Stand up and say it's my party! Let's make it Judy's turn to bring the wine coolers and fondue set.

 

 


Blog Roll [−]

Blogging Chicks [−]

Blogger Chicks [−]

Blog Linker [−]





Google
Futon Critic
IMDB
Melodic.net
80's TV Themes
Slyck
The Onion
Television Without Pity
Modern Humorist
Best Week Ever Blog
American Idol


Carnival-small

Who Links Here

Listed on Blogwise
Join BloggerChicks
Blog Flux Directory
ESL and EFL Blogs
Best news blogs

Nubbit Blog Directory

Bloggy Award

TFS 100 TopBlogs

Top Blogs Personal Personal Blogs Personal Blogs Top 

blogs

 

  online