My Wishlist

Runner-Up Best Overall Blog of 2005!

I'm a down to earth girl who loves to laugh at others...I mean make others laugh.
View my complete profile
Blogroll Me!   Review My Site   Site Feed MySpace Profile Facebook Profile   Friendster Profile

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Art of Getting By and get new posts delivered to your in-box daily!


powered by Bloglet
Subscribe with Bloglines

 

"This is the most exciting day of my life...and I was pulled on stage once to dance at a Bruce Springsteen concert."
30 Rock

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


This blog has been chosen
as a 2005 BEST

 

 

Monday, October 03, 2005

Welcome Back, Welcome Back, Welcome Back

Ahh, it's good to be back. Not that I really ever went anywhere, technically. In fact, I probably could have blogged even more had I not gotten so many kickass guests. Some of you even volunteered to write more than one post and at first I was thrilled. Then I realized that if I posted multiple posts from everyone I would never get to post for myself and then, what fun would that be? (For me anyway). That being said there still might be a few guest posts from time to time as there were a few that RSVP'ed but have yet to show up at the party.

While I've been "gone" school has been a whirlwind of activity. To be honest, I can't believe it's October already. Then again the first few months always fly by because they are "the holiday months". Everytime Bonnie Tyler turns around she falls apart. Everytime I turn around it feels like it's another holiday.

Now that I am in my second year I can compare and contrast. In some ways this year has been easier. But in other ways this year has been harder. It's easier because I'm organized and I know, for the most part, what to expect. At the very least I know to expect the unexpected.

By this time last year the revovling classroom door had swung around so many times even I didn't know who was in my class anymore. So far this year the entrances and exits have been few. Two kids showed up a few days late and there were a few that were on my list that never came and a few that weren't on my list that did come. Until I hear more about the kids possibly coming over from Hurricane Katrina, things remain calm in that department.

This year I also thought that my group might be somewhat smarter that than last year's bunch. Ironically everyone, including the principal, was saying the exact opposite. Apparently last year's third graders (now fourth graders) were only 60-something percent proficient in Language Arts while this year's bunch is only
40-something proficient. Our principal likes to refer to it as a 3 year glitch that will end after this year. That in itself is a huge revelation since she wouldn't admit that, no way, no how this time last year. In the meantime, we have to get through this year and hope for the best. It is very possible that this year's bunch, on the whole is lower than last year's but then again, maybe I just had the lowest of that 60 something % last year. Then again, when you work in a district where Gifted & Talented classes weed out the kids with almost any academic promise, you can't really be surprised.

Last year I knew from the very beginning that I had a difficult bunch. Back then I found it so infuriating when teachers would come up to me and point out the obvious problem children. This year it's more of the same only what they were pointing out I just wasn't seeing...at first. At this rate, if I get blessed by one more colleague I just might be able to perform a miracle. I mean I'm not kidding myself here. They aren't angels. Well, except for the kid who actually is named Angel, but I digress.

The weirdest part for me is seeing last year's students shuffling about in the hall. I know you shouldn't compare your classes, but what the hell, I'm going to anyway. I never thought I'd say it but I miss my old class and sometimes even want them back. For as much of a handful some of them were, they were all good kids. I could also trust almost everyone in that bunch. And for every difficult child I had, I had another really, really good one to balance it out. I'm also a creature of habit. It never fails. Even when I was a student the first two months I spent wishing I could go back to the year before. Some things, I guess, never change.

This year's class is also lacking something last year's class had- personality. I have a very vanilla bunch this year. No one shines as particularly helpful. However there are a few that stick out for the exact opposite. I have what I like to call the "ailment crew" this year. I have one student who is depressed and throws up every. single. day. There's nothing we can do for him though because the doctors and nurses believe it is all in his head. I have a few others that have what I like to call the copycat effect. They see this one kid gets sick and so they turn around and do the same thing.

Then there are the anger management kids who have serious issues with self hatred and in some cases, hatred of others. Oh and yes, I still teach third grade. At least I think I do. Some days I feel like I entered the Twillight Zone and they swapped my third graders with senior citizens a la Freaky Friday.

Finally there's my last bundle of joy who falls under all of these categories, and thensome. She's actually a very helpful student when she wants to be, but she needs constant attention and becomes very argumentative at times. She's eight but already has a history of seizures and depression. One day she downright refused to come down the stairs because she knew I had to talk to her mother. Of course she came from a different school in district that wrote her an individual behavior plan that they (shocker) didn't honor. So now our school is trying to "honor" it without classifying her. But just like last year, they are picking and choosing exactly what they will and won't honor. For instance, her plan says she needs one to one assistance or small group instruction. The school says that's just a "suggestion". I say it's a load of crap.

All of this is just the long winded way of saying it looks like we're in for a long year.

However, on a brighter note, there should be plenty to blog about.

 

 


Blog Roll [−]

Blogging Chicks [−]

Blogger Chicks [−]

Blog Linker [−]





Google
Futon Critic
IMDB
Melodic.net
80's TV Themes
Slyck
The Onion
Television Without Pity
Modern Humorist
Best Week Ever Blog
American Idol


Carnival-small

Who Links Here

Listed on Blogwise
Join BloggerChicks
Blog Flux Directory
ESL and EFL Blogs
Best news blogs

Nubbit Blog Directory

Bloggy Award

TFS 100 TopBlogs

Top Blogs Personal Personal Blogs Personal Blogs Top 

blogs

 

  online