My Wishlist

Runner-Up Best Overall Blog of 2005!

I'm a down to earth girl who loves to laugh at others...I mean make others laugh.
View my complete profile
Blogroll Me!   Review My Site   Site Feed MySpace Profile Facebook Profile   Friendster Profile

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Art of Getting By and get new posts delivered to your in-box daily!


powered by Bloglet
Subscribe with Bloglines

 

"This is the most exciting day of my life...and I was pulled on stage once to dance at a Bruce Springsteen concert."
30 Rock

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


This blog has been chosen
as a 2005 BEST

 

 

Friday, May 19, 2006

You Spin Me Round

A few months ago, my parents decided they had to have a new washing machine and dryer.

Let me rephrase that.

My father decided he needed new machines. For the record, my mother and I were both fine with what we had. Unfortunately, the washing machine and dryer were not available for comment.

Now there are two spin cycles of thought on this one so stay with me. On one hand, the machines themselves were many years old, older than me in fact, so that makes them at least 30. Sure they've taken a lickin' before, but still they kept on ticking, or turning as the case may be, so if it ain't broke don't fix it. Or better yet, fix it, just don't replace it.

Then there's the other argument. When the machines were in use, they were washing everything just fine, but they were like a Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston duet; getting increasingly louder with no real way to prevent it from happening.

But the reason the machines were getting louder wasn't because they were getting older, it was because the floor they were on was not ideal. It's not a concrete slab and I guess the longer machines rock on anything but concrete, the louder they become.

Completely dismissing the fact that the problem is really the floor, not the machines, my dad decided new machinery was the solution. And of course even if it was just the washing machine you'd replace the dryer and vice versa. They're a matching set. Bread and butter. Toast and jam. Ebony and ivory, working in perfect harmony.

So my parents went out to purchase new machines and in the process, were literally hung out to dry. For starters, they asked the salesman and the salesman alone which machines he recommended. Enter, commission hungry salesman who comes in for the kill. My parents, despite everything I've taught them about internet research, believe the slimy sales guy when he says this one machine will give them everything they are looking for and more.

Oh wait, did I say everything they were looking for and more? I meant everything they were looking for...FOR MORE...and sold seperately.

Soon two brand new, high priced, high tech machines are delivered to our doorstep. These machines were truly top of the line and had the price tag to match. There were a zillion choices of cycles, rinses and water levels, it was utterly ridiculous. If I recall correctly, there was even an option to fold the clothesand a "start dinner for you" button that worked wonderfully. Ok maybe not all of that, but for the price they were going for, they most certainly should have been.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, more money does not always necessarily mean it's better. This goes for clothes, shoes, presidents...you name it. Just because they cost a lot, doesn't mean they're worth it. Apparently household appliances are no exception. Sure, these machines took a big chunk of change, but they also took a big bite out of your time.

See, with our 30 year old machines we were able to wash clothes in a 20-25 minute cycle with healthy amounts of water. But now, it's all about the environment and energy efficiency. Somehow, someway they justify it is more efficient to have the machine use less water and run longer. If you can explain that one to me, by all means, I'd like to hear your spin on all things...spin.

Yes, suddenly a 20-25 minute load took upwards of 40 to 50 minutes to wash with a miniscule amount of water. I understand waste not want not, but I also WANT my clothes to be clean, thank you very much. And what is this extended cycle thing all about? There are millions of Americans who dread doing laundry as it is. Now that you're doing laundry on Little House on the Prairie time, things are really out of hand.

But the time and the water aren't even the main reasons the dearly departed machines have since left the building. No, the real reason we replaced the replacements was because the promise to not rock was an empty one, as these more expensive machines were actually louder than the ones we originally had. It was like David Lee Roth replacing Howard Stern or even anyone for that matter replacing David Lee Roth. In the end, we were better off with what we had to begin with.

So the machines were sent back to the store and my parents ended up with much cheaper machines that don't go bump in the night.

Then again, without their misfortune I wouldn't have been able to air all their dirty laundry, now would I?

 

 


Blog Roll [−]

Blogging Chicks [−]

Blogger Chicks [−]

Blog Linker [−]





Google
Futon Critic
IMDB
Melodic.net
80's TV Themes
Slyck
The Onion
Television Without Pity
Modern Humorist
Best Week Ever Blog
American Idol


Carnival-small

Who Links Here

Listed on Blogwise
Join BloggerChicks
Blog Flux Directory
ESL and EFL Blogs
Best news blogs

Nubbit Blog Directory

Bloggy Award

TFS 100 TopBlogs

Top Blogs Personal Personal Blogs Personal Blogs Top 

blogs

 

  online