My Wishlist

Runner-Up Best Overall Blog of 2005!

I'm a down to earth girl who loves to laugh at others...I mean make others laugh.
View my complete profile
Blogroll Me!   Review My Site   Site Feed MySpace Profile Facebook Profile   Friendster Profile

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Art of Getting By and get new posts delivered to your in-box daily!


powered by Bloglet
Subscribe with Bloglines

 

"This is the most exciting day of my life...and I was pulled on stage once to dance at a Bruce Springsteen concert."
30 Rock

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


This blog has been chosen
as a 2005 BEST

 

 

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Write Back Weekend "Now Hear This"

I knew all along that compiling a list of the best artists or bands of today was going to be the hardest list to make. This is partly because we aren't sure where these artists are heading and partly because I'm not sure I like where the future of music is heading.

Sometimes I think it is me, that I'm just getting old and inevitably will grow more out of touch. But my interest in great, new music is still alive and well, it's just that I have trouble finding great new music to be excited about. And I'm not alone in this. Unless you're under the age of twenty-five, I dare you to create a strong list of artists that you feel will stand the test of time. It's scary, but I don't think longevity is what it used to be.

It's also about having a distinctive feeling about music that goes along with a decade. The 60's, though I didn't create a formal list (should I?) was definitely a decade full of musical birth and musical firsts. The seventies, although scary, had classic rock and disco. Then the eighties came along and we were introduced to the sounds of pop and hair bands. The eighties hair bands eventually evolved into nineties grunge. My point in stating the obvious is this: Each decade, while distinctive in its own right, built on the sounds of the decade that came before it.

Now enter the music of today. When we look back on the 00's what music will we say ruled this time? Rap? Emo rock? My Space indies? It's a hodge podge of sounds more than ever. Even the nickname for this decade is lame. O0's!? Who doesn't say that and feel stupid! The only good thing that comes from that is there is a lot more musical freedom nowadays and thus, a lot more choice. But sometimes when you go to a buffett and find you have a lot of choices, it all gets too overwhelming and the food itself is only lukewarm. I don't know about you, but I'd rather have top grade sirloin than reheated Hamburger Helper any day.

All this being said, the list I managed to create offers up the artists who I feel have or had the most potential to take music to the next level.

1. Justin Timberlake- Naysayers really wanted pretty boy Justin Timberlake to fail. After all, everything about him screamed "flash in the pan". He has boy band beginnings and Michael Jackson tendencies. But something strange happened in the last few years. Timberlake broke off from NSync, and broke into a major player in his own right. I don't know what the future will bring, but I do know that Timberlake is indeed bringing sexy with him.

2. Jimmy Eat World- While Jimmy Eat World's beginnings are rooted in the nineties, they didn't really bloom until this past decade. I can still remember when I acquired their "breakthrough" album, Bleed American, for review in 2001. That summer it was on heavy rotation in my cd changer. The whole album was great from start to finish. While I'm not crazy about the emo movement, there are a few acts that do manage to fall under the emo heading that still offer something of substance. Jimmy Eat World is definitely one of them that has the potential for staying power.

3. Rilo Kiley- Recently Rilo Kiley has been getting a lot of indie buzz. So now the band is at the crossroads between being indie, being mainsteam and being themselves. They are already working on side projects, but in between it all they manage to have a song or two featured on the latest hip drama of the season. In fact, chances are you've heard Rilo Kiley already even without hearing them. Their magic, however, is rooted in the chameleon-like qualities of their lead singer, former child actress Jenny Lewis. If you would have told me years ago while watching Troop Beverly Hills that the real breakout star would have been Ms. Lewis, I would have been very weary.

4. Phantom Planet- Another band that started in the late nineties, Phantom Planet got a lot of attention for two main reasons. Their breakout hit became The OC theme song, California and their breakout star became distinctive looking indie actor, Jason "Rushmore" Schwartzman. These two ingredients combined gave Phantom Planet a built in fan base that they might have had to dig around for otherwise. Their first album was a minor success, but The Guest, their second release, garnered more attention, and released some great music, going on to be one of my favorite albums. Then a few years later they released a self-titled collection that marked an extreme departure from their original sound that I wasn't so crazy about. The only thing I can say about that is they are creative enough to not be stifled. I only hope that without Jason and without The OC that they will recaputre the great music like they once did.

5. John Mayer- I have one question for the fans of today's music, where have all the great organic, singer/songwriter types gone? Enter John Mayer, the great white hope. While there are others that fall in line with the sounds of Mayer, he is clearly head and shoulders above the rest. He's charming, has crossover appeal, and is funny, too. Oh and he makes great music that is a mix of pop, rock and blues. He's like today's answer to James Taylor. I'm not as crazy about his latest release, but that doesn't keep me from craving a "side of Mayer" every once and awhile.

6. Mandy Moore- In the late nineties the pop princess race began. First there was Britney, then Christina, then Jessica Simpson and eventually Mandy Moore entered the race. Then the real games began. While at first they all seemed like clones of each other, they've had distinctly unique career paths. Back then I never would have predicted the young, sweet Mandy Moore would have evolved into the triple threat she has. She's smart because she hasn't just stuck to music, branching out into film and television as well. Only time will tell if she has staying power, but the end result doesn't change the fact that she has talent.

7. Chrstina Aguilera- Love or or hate her, one thing is certain, Christina Aguilera can sing. She's an interesting choice for me because I am the first to admit that I don't always like the music she creates. I'm also not completely sure I would like her as a person. But I like that she can actually sing. It might not sound like a big thing, but with today's music, talent seems to be the exception to the rule.

8. Pink- When Pink first came out in 2000 I liked her debut single, There You Go. But if I'm being perfectly honest, that's where I assumed my relationship with Pink would end. I was convinced she would go off and make some random R&B music that I either would never like or never hear, making There You Go a bonafide self prophecy of a one hit wonder. But in 2001 Pink released the aptly titled album, Missundaztood and totally redefined my impression of her. The album had pop, it had rock and it had most importantly, something refreshing. In 2003 she did it again with Try This and just this year she released I'm Not Dead. All three of these albums are still on repeat on my mp3 player, making her one of my favorite musical acts of the decade, if not more.

9. Snow Patrol- I recently discovered Snow Patrol's music. Don't let their silly name fool you. There's a lot of substance, and promise there. Although they are another band that started in the nineties, their breakout didn't come until a few years ago. Their first major song is also one of my favorites, the beautiful Run. But there's a lot more where that came from. Grey's Anatomy featured a few of their tunes last season, namely Chasing Cars, which also catapulted their music to a new level. I only hope the success, and the great music, lasts.

10. 17. Ben Folds (Five)- Ben Folds doesn't always sing on tune and his lyrics don't always make sense, but that doesn't mean that he still doesn't manage somehow to make great music. The first song I heard by Ben Folds when was when he was with Ben Folds Five in the nineties. It was called Underground and I loved it because it reminded me of Jellyfish meets Joe Jackson. So I bought the whole album and loved songs like Philosophy and Best Imitation of Myself even more. In 2001 Ben went solo and released the quirky collection, Rockin' The Suburbs. It was one of those solo turns where nothing really sounded any different. Last year he released Songs For Silverman which I wasn't as crazy about, but I still like Ben Folds unique way of saying things, period.

11. Maroon 5- As with many artists, Maroon 5 seemed to come out of nowhere and grow into a major success overnight. But diehard fans will tell you that isn't exactly the way it happened. While I was in college in the nineties, my friend got their album to review. Only it wasn't Maroon 5's album she was reviewing, it was a bad called Kara's Flowers. Essentially it was the same band only with a completely different sound. At the time they were going for a Weezer-esque, pop feel. When the boys reconvened in 2001 they had been schooled in many musical stylings, and it showed. The result was the eclectic and award-winning release, Songs About Jane which featured such smash hits as Harder to Breathe and She Will Be Loved. Fans of the band now anxiously await their follow up. Will it be that Maroon 5 will have to forfeit the crown, or will they remain an inspiration of new music to come?

12. Kelly Clarkson- Every generation needs a strong female vocalist or two, pure and simple. In the eighties we had Pat Benatar, Madonna and Cyndi Lauper. In my eyes, Kelly Clarkson is a throwback to this simple formula. Plucked from obscurity as a result of the now smash hit American Idol, her small town girl story fueled her success. But Kelly Clarkson has much more than a gimmick going for her, she has honest to God true singing talent. No one could have predicted the powerhouse this girl would be and just like the Energizer bunny she just keeps going and going...

13. Ok Go- Ok Go's sound is like a collection of would be one hit wonders, that when put together, actually build one great, fun band. Their sound is decidedly pop, but what is the best thing about Ok Go is their unique approach. They've taken the art of music video under their wing and set themselves apart in a medium that has long had a been there, done that vibe. With one viewing of A Million Ways To Be Cruel or Here It Goes Again and you'll know what I'm talking about.

14. The Killers- The Killers are a curious inclusion on this list. I'm not sure where they are headed, but if you read any recent press with lead singer, Brandon Flowers, they would tell you they ARE the future of music. Only time will tell if this viewpoint is sheer bravado or sheer brilliance. They aren't the first band to proclaim greatness before and look at where the likes of say, Oasis is now. Still, all things considered, I loved Mr. Brightside. It was like a throwback to all things that are great about the eighties. The Killers want you to believe their latest release, Sam's Town, is one of the greatest albums, ever. I don't know about that, but in a weird way I'm pulling for them. I would like for a new band to proclaim staying power and actually have the chops to back it up.

Honorable Mentions: Black Eyed Peas, Thirsty Merc, Everybody Else, Hot Hot Heat, Jem, Modest Mouse, Keane, Jason Mraz, Three Doors Down, Alien Ant Farm, Incubus, Coldplay, Beyonce and Jars of Clay.

 

 


Blog Roll [−]

Blogging Chicks [−]

Blogger Chicks [−]

Blog Linker [−]





Google
Futon Critic
IMDB
Melodic.net
80's TV Themes
Slyck
The Onion
Television Without Pity
Modern Humorist
Best Week Ever Blog
American Idol


Carnival-small

Who Links Here

Listed on Blogwise
Join BloggerChicks
Blog Flux Directory
ESL and EFL Blogs
Best news blogs

Nubbit Blog Directory

Bloggy Award

TFS 100 TopBlogs

Top Blogs Personal Personal Blogs Personal Blogs Top 

blogs

 

  online