My Wishlist

Runner-Up Best Overall Blog of 2005!

I'm a down to earth girl who loves to laugh at others...I mean make others laugh.
View my complete profile
Blogroll Me!   Review My Site   Site Feed MySpace Profile Facebook Profile   Friendster Profile

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Art of Getting By and get new posts delivered to your in-box daily!


powered by Bloglet
Subscribe with Bloglines

 

"This is the most exciting day of my life...and I was pulled on stage once to dance at a Bruce Springsteen concert."
30 Rock

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


This blog has been chosen
as a 2005 BEST

 

 

Friday, November 17, 2006

It Looks Like Daniels, But That Must Be The Clouds In My Eyes

With the holiday season rapidly approaching, have you shown a blogger how much you love them? If not, what are you waiting for?

The other day my dad and I were driving in the car when an amusing commercial came on the radio. If I wasn't in the car with my dad I probably would never have heard it considering I normally don't listen to commercials, or even the radio for that matter.

The advertisement was announcing the appearance of Jeff Daniels in concert at a local university. For a moment I thought to myself, "Huh. That's odd. I know there's a musician named Charlie Daniels, but I only know one Jeff Daniels and surely they can't mean him."

As if talking to me through the stereo the next line was something to the effect of, "You know him from movies like Terms of Endearment and The Purple Rose of Cairo, but the multi-talented Daniels is also a singer, writer performer of over 30 years."

Yes friends, the song man Jeff Daniels and the acting Jeff Daniels are indeed the same person.

As if to further illustrate the point, literally, I include a picture of Jeff Daniels holding a musical instrument. The picture taunts me as if to say, "See, I must be a musician. Look at me nonchalantly holding this guitar!"




I know multi-talented performers are no strangers to the industry. Some sing, dance and act like Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan and J-Lo. Others of them even manage to do all three relatively well. I like to call them "triple threats". The more well versed they are in more than one area of the arts, the less likely they are to end up on The Surreal Life one day.

Granted, this is not the first time Mr. Daniels has fooled me with his wide array of talents. For years he had a career as a straight shooter, low-key lead/character actor. Then in 1994 he surprised everyone and made Dumb & Dumber. To date, this remains one of his most successful roles. In fact when he dies one day, I'm willing to bet money that the obituary will include a reference to that film, a film that otherwise goes against every fiber of Daniels and his acting being.

Given all of this, I suppose news of Jeff Daniels versatility should not surprise me all that much. I suppose what really gets me is the whole "for over 30 years" part. How could this have gone unnoticed for so long? Even Kevin Spacey, best known as a sinister character actor turned sinister leading man couldn't keep his comedic and musical talents a secret. I mean really. If you can juggle while riding around on a unicycle, why not show it off for the entire world to see?!

Yet, as for what type of music Jeff Daniels writes and performs, that remained a mystery. You would think a commercial that was trying to coerce new people into coming to see Daniels might feature a bar or two but noooo. Instead the excerpt they chose to use was one of Jeff Daniels talking about how nobody knows he is a singer as you hear canned laughter filtering in from the audience. I don't know if this tactic is used in order to entice you to come see for yourself or to con you in to forking over 35 bucks, money that once you see Jeff Daniels sing, you would gladly pay not to see ever again.

Investigation into the elusive Mr. Daniels gave way to musical insight and witty titles including, but not limited to:

If I Weren't So Stupid
You Can Drink A Ugly Girl Pretty
Dirty Harry Blues


and much, much more!

In fact, if you click this link you can found the pot o' gold, pie in the sky, actual, live footage of Jeff Daniels SINGING!

Interestingly enough, in my continued research while writing this post I came across many, fun music-related, Jeff Daniels tidbits. Apparently the title to one of Jeff Daniels many songs is "If William Shatner Can, I Can Too".

As reviewed in an article by The Star Ledger..."This song, which he wrote himself, pokes fun at actor-musicians, with lines like "Despite people across the country screaming 'Don't do it!'/We've got another CD from Jennifer Love Hewitt" and "It's safe to say no one wins/When you listen to the Olsen Twins."

Debonair. Ditties. Dumber.
Anyway you slice it, it's all Daniels.

 

 


Blog Roll [−]

Blogging Chicks [−]

Blogger Chicks [−]

Blog Linker [−]





Google
Futon Critic
IMDB
Melodic.net
80's TV Themes
Slyck
The Onion
Television Without Pity
Modern Humorist
Best Week Ever Blog
American Idol


Carnival-small

Who Links Here

Listed on Blogwise
Join BloggerChicks
Blog Flux Directory
ESL and EFL Blogs
Best news blogs

Nubbit Blog Directory

Bloggy Award

TFS 100 TopBlogs

Top Blogs Personal Personal Blogs Personal Blogs Top 

blogs

 

  online