My Wishlist

Runner-Up Best Overall Blog of 2005!

I'm a down to earth girl who loves to laugh at others...I mean make others laugh.
View my complete profile
Blogroll Me!   Review My Site   Site Feed MySpace Profile Facebook Profile   Friendster Profile

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Art of Getting By and get new posts delivered to your in-box daily!


powered by Bloglet
Subscribe with Bloglines

 

"This is the most exciting day of my life...and I was pulled on stage once to dance at a Bruce Springsteen concert."
30 Rock

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


This blog has been chosen
as a 2005 BEST

 

 

Friday, December 01, 2006

Please Mr. Postman, Look and See

Sometimes we all wish we could be kids again. For me, Christmas is one of those times.

It's not that I dislike Christmas, though sometimes I'll admit I do not look forward to the careful coordinating, perfect gift finding and potentially being able to bring retail outlets and radio stations everywhere up on charges of assault and battery. But before you go off and mislabel me a Scrooge, let me try and explain. See, I quite enjoy the merriment and mingling that often accompanies holidays like these. What I can do without, however, is the pressure that comes along with Christmas related characterizations.

Take for example that tried and true tradition of Christmas cards.

I always feel like such a card when it comes to Christmas card giving. That's because I have no real procedure for the card giving chain of command. For years my Christmas card giving was done for me. After all, I was part of a unit, a nuclear family. My name was signed along with my mom's and dad's and sent out to relatives far and wide.

But then I graduated high school, and college and suddenly, things changed, or at least they kind've changed. Since I still live at home (hopefully though, not for much longer!) I can still skate by on the fam's Christmas cards. So, at least for the time being, relatives and good family friends are covered.

So that just leaves everyone else. These are the friends that I have made in the past ten years or so that have nothing to do with mom or dad. These are the people I should be sending Christmas cards too, right? Or if not Christmas cards, holiday cards. I'm an equal opportunity holiday celebrater, doncha' know.

A few years back I started to do just that. But early on I ran into a few snags. For one thing, there's this nagging little trend that seems to permeate my generation. Christmas card giving is few and far between amongst my friends. My mom, meanwhile still exchanges cards with someone she once had science class with back in 11th grade but hasn't seen since. I wish I was speaking figuratively, but I'm afraid that's it's true when they say truth is really stranger than the fiction.

I suppose Christmas card giving and getting was one of those adult-like rites of passage I always took for granted. I figured it would kick in when it needed to, like when people got their own houses, or their own spouses, or their own cats, whatever. But as the years come and go and the cards simply do. not. come. I realize there may never be an official transition to adulthood, at least not of the Hallmark variety.

Taking matters into my own hands hasn't done much either. I've sent out Christmas cards, which by the way are always, always humorous and never, ever sentimental. Still I've received very few in return. Sometimes I even try and wait to see who sends me one and then just send one back to them. For the record, I think this is lamer than lame, but I can't decide which makes you a bigger loser; waiting for Christmas cards that do not come or waiting for cards before you send them.

So don't be shocked if I'm pleasantly surprised when you talk about Christmas card giving and getting. I suppose Christmas cards are a lot like Santa himself. People talk about his existence, but I've never actually seen him with my own two eyes.

And that was all she wrote.

 

 


Blog Roll [−]

Blogging Chicks [−]

Blogger Chicks [−]

Blog Linker [−]





Google
Futon Critic
IMDB
Melodic.net
80's TV Themes
Slyck
The Onion
Television Without Pity
Modern Humorist
Best Week Ever Blog
American Idol


Carnival-small

Who Links Here

Listed on Blogwise
Join BloggerChicks
Blog Flux Directory
ESL and EFL Blogs
Best news blogs

Nubbit Blog Directory

Bloggy Award

TFS 100 TopBlogs

Top Blogs Personal Personal Blogs Personal Blogs Top 

blogs

 

  online