My Wishlist

Runner-Up Best Overall Blog of 2005!

I'm a down to earth girl who loves to laugh at others...I mean make others laugh.
View my complete profile
Blogroll Me!   Review My Site   Site Feed MySpace Profile Facebook Profile   Friendster Profile

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Art of Getting By and get new posts delivered to your in-box daily!


powered by Bloglet
Subscribe with Bloglines

 

"This is the most exciting day of my life...and I was pulled on stage once to dance at a Bruce Springsteen concert."
30 Rock

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


This blog has been chosen
as a 2005 BEST

 

 

Monday, October 18, 2004

Know When To Hold 'Em, Know When To Fold 'Em

Although I have admittedly, FINALLY somewhat outgrown the Real World/Road Rules franchise, I gotta say I am still a sucker for the Battle of... spinoffs.

Season after season I watch another group of semi-strangers try to live in a house, or a winnebago as the case may be, and find out (all together now) what happens when people stop being themselves and start being what the editing department wants them to be.

But with Battle of the Sexes, Inferno, Egos Ablaze, or whatever kooky name the kids are calling it this season, it's different. On these shows MTV compiles a list of gamers who have a proven track record of bringing drama to the table, with a few fillers (I'm talking to the likes of Jacquese and Cynthia here) mixed in for good measure. I go back and forth, however, as to what exactly is the key ingredient to making these shows so enjoyable.

Is it the fact that some of the cast members are pushing 40 and still hanging out in the the romper room of reality tv? (Ahem- Eric, Mark)

Or is it the summer vacation vibe that happens when you see a cast member you haven't seen in awhile and do a double take at the surprising transformation and/or their new quasi-incestous, Bunim-Murray related hookup? (namely this season, the radical transformation of Tonya, in both personality and her now non-existent speaking voice)

Or could it be the inevitable drama that unfolds by pairing people in a villa who have a proven history of hate? (insert revolving door of cast members names here)

Whatever the case may be, for me, there are a few repeat offenders that truly make the game worthwhile:

Ruthie: As a competitor, Ruthie is fierce. Sure there is some drama when Ruthie is around, but there's also some serious ass kicking. If only more girls were like Ruthie the guys might have something to worry about.

Katie/Veronica: Ok, let me start off by saying this: I don't think that I would like Katie if I were to meet her face to face. But now you pit Katie against Veronica and Katie has my vote, hands down. In fact, you pit Veronica against virtually ANYBODY on ANY season or for that matter, any town ANYWHERE and the other person would have my vote. Well perhaps for maybe Julie. Then I'd have to call it a draw.

Theo:
To know Theo is to love Theo. There could probably be a good 30 minute loop of all the great things, or Theoisms as I like to call them, that Theo has shared with us through the years.

Coral and Mike or just plain ol' Coral: It was the friendship that was never meant to be and yet, these two overcame the odds to become the Harry and Sally of reality tv. I know that there is nothing remotely romantic brewing between these two...or is there? All I do know is that Coral was mighty jealous when Mike was dating Trishelle and even somewhat miffed when he hooked up with Kendall. In fact, anything where Mike isn't paying attention to HER makes her mad.

But you're right. It's strictly platonic.

Regardless, Coral is hands down, my favorite player. If I was chosen as one of seven strangers I would probably have thought she was the biggest bitch alive, but anyone who can step outside the box can see that for the most part, Coral IS usually right, or at the very least, she does a damn good job of making it look that way when even editing can't go and mess you up.

And so another season begins, if not as chockful of gamers as it has been in the past. Only time will tell what the new kids on the block will add to the mix. Only one thing is for certain: Don't hate the playas, hate the million dollar producers.

 

 


Blog Roll [−]

Blogging Chicks [−]

Blogger Chicks [−]

Blog Linker [−]





Google
Futon Critic
IMDB
Melodic.net
80's TV Themes
Slyck
The Onion
Television Without Pity
Modern Humorist
Best Week Ever Blog
American Idol


Carnival-small

Who Links Here

Listed on Blogwise
Join BloggerChicks
Blog Flux Directory
ESL and EFL Blogs
Best news blogs

Nubbit Blog Directory

Bloggy Award

TFS 100 TopBlogs

Top Blogs Personal Personal Blogs Personal Blogs Top 

blogs

 

  online