My Wishlist

Runner-Up Best Overall Blog of 2005!

I'm a down to earth girl who loves to laugh at others...I mean make others laugh.
View my complete profile
Blogroll Me!   Review My Site   Site Feed MySpace Profile Facebook Profile   Friendster Profile

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Art of Getting By and get new posts delivered to your in-box daily!


powered by Bloglet
Subscribe with Bloglines

 

"This is the most exciting day of my life...and I was pulled on stage once to dance at a Bruce Springsteen concert."
30 Rock

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


This blog has been chosen
as a 2005 BEST

 

 

Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Crazy Rabbit! Back To School Night Is For Kids?

Last night was my first, official back to school night. For the most part, back to school night is usually earlier in the year. There are both decided pros and cons to having a later date:

Pros-
-You have more time to prepare, especially if you are a newbie like me.
-You have more time to get to know your kids before meeting where they came from.

Cons-
-More time in school= more questions of the, "so, how is my child doing?" variety.
-back to school night is closer to progress reports, which is closer to report cards and thus everything seems to hit you all at once.

Also, I don't know about anybody else, but when I was in school, things like parent/teacher conferences and back to school night were just for parents AND teachers. So, when a lot of my kids asked me if they could come, I said that they are allowed to come, but if they can stay home, they really should.

I had 11 sets of parents or one parent/guardian come.
Out of the 11, only 2 of my "problem" children ended up coming so in essence, it was a talk for the kids and parents who already know the right thing to do ANYWAY.

I also got to see 10 of my students and a handful of assorted siblings.

So much for that lecture.

The class clown of my class actually put it perfectly by putting his special, "attention getting spin" on things. He made the analogy that back to school night is like children and R rated movies; they both are for adults only. He didn't put it quite that eloquently, but you get the gist.

Another added issue in my case is that a lot of the parents speak Spanish and little to no English. So I gave my speech, full well knowing at least half of what I said probably meant nothing to these people.

All in all, it went well.

Then again, having no clue what someone is saying is kinda like the old Elvis Presley tune: when there's a little less conversation, there's bound to be a little more action.

 

 


Blog Roll [−]

Blogging Chicks [−]

Blogger Chicks [−]

Blog Linker [−]





Google
Futon Critic
IMDB
Melodic.net
80's TV Themes
Slyck
The Onion
Television Without Pity
Modern Humorist
Best Week Ever Blog
American Idol


Carnival-small

Who Links Here

Listed on Blogwise
Join BloggerChicks
Blog Flux Directory
ESL and EFL Blogs
Best news blogs

Nubbit Blog Directory

Bloggy Award

TFS 100 TopBlogs

Top Blogs Personal Personal Blogs Personal Blogs Top 

blogs

 

  online