My Wishlist

Runner-Up Best Overall Blog of 2005!

I'm a down to earth girl who loves to laugh at others...I mean make others laugh.
View my complete profile
Blogroll Me!   Review My Site   Site Feed MySpace Profile Facebook Profile   Friendster Profile

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Art of Getting By and get new posts delivered to your in-box daily!


powered by Bloglet
Subscribe with Bloglines

 

"This is the most exciting day of my life...and I was pulled on stage once to dance at a Bruce Springsteen concert."
30 Rock

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


This blog has been chosen
as a 2005 BEST

 

 

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Bored Minds Create Great Bulletin Boards

Blogger Meet-Up Going once, going twice...

At the beginning of the month, I proposed another one of my infamous contests. This one was bred out of sheer laziness and/or time restrictions. Still, I wanted help with my bulletin board and many of you came to the rescue with some pretty nifty ideas. Here are the highlights of a few of my faves:

Nat said: "This might be cheesy, but how about "Swing Into Spring"? You could do a tree with a large branch and a swing hanging from it. The "leaves" on the tree could be the kids' work."

Kerrie said: "Ask each kid to draw a picture of a spring flower with their face in the middle. Then, you can plant all the flowers on a big green hill with a big blue sky. Your part? Sky, grass, sun, and maybe some catchy little title that I'm not clever enough to come up with myself."

Gigem also had some cute Cinco De Mayo ideas, but he OR she remains the mystery blogger, so I can't really hook 'em up with a link.

In fact, many of you had great ideas, but there were words thrown around like "migration" and "research" and those people, unfortunately, had no idea of the capabilities of the group I am working with.:(

Ultimately though, I went with something along the lines of what La Nina suggested: "April is National Poetry Month. Perhaps the kids can write their own poems to put on the board? Then you could pick one of your own favorites and design the board artistically around that..."

So here you have it:


The Banner Says: "Spring Is...In Like A Lion And Out Like A Lamb!"

I had the children brainstorm a list of things that reminded them of spring. Then I had them narrow down the list to their five favorite things. I modeled what a sample poem might look like. Most of them handled the assignment surprisingly well. I did find it a bit ironic that some were stuck in writing full sentences mode when they didn't necessarily have to. It figures the one time I don't need them to, it finally catches on.

Here is a sample of one of my faves. She's such a talented writer, she didn't need any help from me:

"God first gave us spring.
I watch flowers grow.
I see butterflies on flowers and I try to catch them.
Outside it smells good, fresh, relaxing and calm.
Bees are on the flowers and it is hard to ignore them."


And without further adieu, a brief tribute to La Nina over at Difficult By Design.

The obvious must be stated first. La Nina is another Jersey blogger, just like yours truly. Of course, this immediately ups her coolness factor. In La Nina's own words:
"I'm a Jersey girl without the big hair or the accent (well, most of the time anyway), but with all of the bad driving and the penchant for weekly manicures.Oh, and I'm an interior design student. That's how all of the weird terminology comes into play."

La Nina is relatively new to the blogging world, Difficult By Design starting circa September 16, 2004. In her first, very informative post, she tells us how the blog (and herself) got their names. In short, she wanted a blog name that paid homage to who she was, but that wasn't being used already. Thus, Difficult By Design was born.

As for the La Nina name, there are a few different contributing factors:

a. My parents, both East Coast WASPs by birth, met in Spain and would call me "La Nina" once every few years as I was growing up, particularly when I was little and they wanted to talk about me in my presence.

b. Nina from 24 is my favorite character on television.

c. My boyfriend, Ryan McGee, has referred to me as "The Girl" on his blog. I am the Dark Lady of the Web, it seems.

d. I like the idea of my name having possible weather effects. Okay, maybe it's due to global warming but I accept power in all forms.


In my own words, La Nina's blog is a blog after my own heart. Sometimes she writes about work, sometimes she writes about Mad Libs. Basically, her blog is a hodge podge of random things. This teacher thinks she fits in with the AOGB crew very nicely and has made some very useful contributions in class.

So to the rest of you, don't feel so bad. I mean, did you really expect a person with the word DESIGN in their blog title to come up with anything short of greatness in a contest such as this?:)

 

 


Blog Roll [−]

Blogging Chicks [−]

Blogger Chicks [−]

Blog Linker [−]





Google
Futon Critic
IMDB
Melodic.net
80's TV Themes
Slyck
The Onion
Television Without Pity
Modern Humorist
Best Week Ever Blog
American Idol


Carnival-small

Who Links Here

Listed on Blogwise
Join BloggerChicks
Blog Flux Directory
ESL and EFL Blogs
Best news blogs

Nubbit Blog Directory

Bloggy Award

TFS 100 TopBlogs

Top Blogs Personal Personal Blogs Personal Blogs Top 

blogs

 

  online