My Wishlist

Runner-Up Best Overall Blog of 2005!

I'm a down to earth girl who loves to laugh at others...I mean make others laugh.
View my complete profile
Blogroll Me!   Review My Site   Site Feed MySpace Profile Facebook Profile   Friendster Profile

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Art of Getting By and get new posts delivered to your in-box daily!


powered by Bloglet
Subscribe with Bloglines

 

"This is the most exciting day of my life...and I was pulled on stage once to dance at a Bruce Springsteen concert."
30 Rock

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


This blog has been chosen
as a 2005 BEST

 

 

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Are You Ready For A New Sensation?

I've contributed to a lovely Carnival of the NJ Bloggers just this past Sunday. This morning I come to find out the carnival was featured in The NY Times! If you're having trouble accessing the article, go to BugMeNot.com, type in http://www.nytimes.com and voila!

Now back to our regularly scheduled post, already in progress.


Once the shock and the horror that I'd have to go seven months again without American Idol wore off, it hit me. This year was going to be different. Because American Idol was such a huge hit, there were bound to be numerous copycat versions, some good, some bad, coming out of the woodwork.

That's when I heard about Rock Star: Inxs.

At first I was a bit creeped out by the premise. Everyone knows the infamous story of former lead singer Michael Hutchence's untimely death. So when I heard that the rest of Inxs still wanted to give it a go with a new lead singer, I thought a few things. First, and foremost I thought I'd be pretty pissed if I were Michael Hutchence. Secondly, I thought I'd be a genius if I was a remaining member of Inxs. Cause let's face facts; Inxs, prior to Michael Hutchence's death was doing ok, but no one was near "needing them tonight" anytime soon.

Rock Star: Inxs, also airs on the less than rocking network of CBS. But two episodes in and I gotta say, I'm already impressed, albeit still a bit confused how any of the singers, no matter how amazing, are going to fit into the existing Inxs lineup. I'm also not sure who is really helping who here, but I digress.

In American Idol fashion there are judges, the band members, and sometimes guest host/sometimes music guru Dave "impeccably groomed to the point he freaks me out" Navarro adds his two cents. The real host, however, is Brooke "don't hate me because I look like the sweet version of Carmen Electra" Burns.

From the getgo we met 15 male and female singers. We also got to see prerecorded clips of all of them singing. I notices some were longer clips while some were shorter. In other words, in typical reality show fashion, the opener was edited to reflect early band, and potential fan, favorites.

Unlike American Idol, however, all of these people can actually like, sing. I mean it. Even the ones who suck somehow manage to rock. This could be because many of them come from "gosh darn I came this close to making it" backgrounds in music. Still, there are always my favorites and early predictions. I'm not going to bore you and pick apart each and every contestant here, but I am going to give you general feelings whether you want them or not.

It needs to be said that already one chick was eliminated, Dana. No matter who you are, it's gotta suck to be the first to go. But really it was no surprise. I couldn't really explain it, but I was a bit skeeved by Dana. Then I read her bio and saw she had acting credits including the adult cable films "Sinful Obsession," "Intimate Nights" and "Stripper Wives". Suddenly, it all made sense.

Then there's Daphna. Daphna's vocals are decent, but it's her look that is going to take her places. She's the kind of rocker chick who tries to muss herself all up to look bitching, when all people realy want to do is put her in a mini skirt with attitude and Gwen Stefani the hell out of her. I also see eighties pop star Martika, when she performs but then again, I'm sure it's just me.

Deanna, no doubt, will be around for awhile. In fact, she has been around for awhile. The woman is 36 years old but she looks 22. I hope I continue to have those kind of genes by the time I reach 36 (knock on wood, so far, so good). Deanna is primarily known as the little chick with the big voice. The novelty of that wears off around the first two performances though. In other words, I'm gonna star getting really peeved with around week seven, members of Inxs are still pointing out the obvious.

Heather is the commune chick who went rocker. She reminds me of little known actress Marissa Ribisi so I can't help but picture her or her brother, Giovanni when she sings. All that aside, she's good. Probably not going to win it, but good nonetheless.

When J.D. first performed I felt like he was an Elvis impersonator at an exorcist. Then I read his bio and noticed the dude actually worked as an Elvis impersonator for a few years. I don't know how rock and roll that is, all I know is that I called it. The next night, just escaping elimination he "toned it down". I didn't really see evidence of this but Inxs loved him so that means I probably have to remain confused for at least a few more weeks.

You know how amazing it is that some British rock stars sound amazingly American when they sing? Well equally amazing, but much more rare, are American singers who sound British when they sing. Meet Marty. Picture David Spade rocking out and you've got Marty.

Then we have the rockers of another time, also known as Mig and Neal. In Mig I see David Bowie, in Neal Mick Jagger. Mig I like. Neal I'm not so sure about. This is probably because with Mig it's just a resemblance, while with Neal it's an imitation.

Foregoing the others for now, this brings me to my three favorites: Jordis, Wil and Ty.

Jordis is hands down, my favorite chick in the bunch. The youngest at 22, she can take a song and totally make it rock without making you feel like your suffering. I know this sounds silly, but in my opinion, a lot of rock chicks overdo it. Jordis doesn't. She's understated without being undercooked. Only thing that worries me is I'm not sure if rocker is who she is really meant to be. I also can totally see her being transformed either way into a much more commercializied singer. For some this is good news, for other this is bad.

Then there's Wil Seabrook. There's not much to say about Wil other than he's dreamy. I totally know he's not going to win. I also know he is not the best vocally in the competition. But damn if that boy isn't fine! He stares down the hell out the crowd too, making Constantine's smolder look like kid stuff. Only problem with Wil is that it's obvious he thinks he's fine, too. I'm sure if I met him, I'd hate him. I mean I'd still elope with him to Vegas if he asked me too, but I'd probably hate him just the same.

Finally there is Ty. Does anyone here remember Corey Glover of Living Colour? They had hits such as "Cult of Personality" and "Glamour Boys". I didn't think so. Living Colour were never huge, but I always thought Corey had a kickass voice and should have gone further in music then he did. Then I met Ty Taylor. Ty Taylor is like Corey Glover's bastard brother. In fact, I'm not sure but it just might be Corey in disguise. It seems Ty was in a little known pop band called Dakota Moon a few years back. Hearing this only makes me respect him more because he can clearly be mellow, or rock out.

No matter what happens, it is clear early on that there are no losers here. If you don't believe me, just ask Bo Bice.

 

 


Blog Roll [−]

Blogging Chicks [−]

Blogger Chicks [−]

Blog Linker [−]





Google
Futon Critic
IMDB
Melodic.net
80's TV Themes
Slyck
The Onion
Television Without Pity
Modern Humorist
Best Week Ever Blog
American Idol


Carnival-small

Who Links Here

Listed on Blogwise
Join BloggerChicks
Blog Flux Directory
ESL and EFL Blogs
Best news blogs

Nubbit Blog Directory

Bloggy Award

TFS 100 TopBlogs

Top Blogs Personal Personal Blogs Personal Blogs Top 

blogs

 

  online