My Wishlist

Runner-Up Best Overall Blog of 2005!

I'm a down to earth girl who loves to laugh at others...I mean make others laugh.
View my complete profile
Blogroll Me!   Review My Site   Site Feed MySpace Profile Facebook Profile   Friendster Profile

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Art of Getting By and get new posts delivered to your in-box daily!


powered by Bloglet
Subscribe with Bloglines

 

"This is the most exciting day of my life...and I was pulled on stage once to dance at a Bruce Springsteen concert."
30 Rock

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


This blog has been chosen
as a 2005 BEST

 

 

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Our House Is A Very, Very, Very Fine House...Not That You Would Know

As another holiday season rapidly descends upon us, something occured to me. I realize that I really don't see most of the people I see at holidays unless it is a holiday.

I have a small theory about this. Most of my holidays are spent with very few relatives, most of them far older than me. I see them a few times a year and for both of us, that's enough. It's not because I don't care about how they are doing or them about me. I think it's more for the fact that if we see each other more infrequently we have much more to catch up on. If we saw each other more often than that there'd be nothing to talk about.

But something else occured to me along the way. Nobody seems to have get togethers anymore unless it is because of a holiday. Maybe I watch too much tv, but I always thought the coolest part of being a grown up would be being able to go over my friend's house, and them mine, whenever we wanted. When you're a kid you have to jump through so many hoops to have this happen. Who is going to drive you? Who has to work late? Is there school tomorrow? The list goes on and on. Now you can just get in the car and go. Only problem is, we hardly ever do.

I also always said that whenever I got a place of my own I'd want it to be the kind of place where people could feel like they could show up unannounced. Not just random people cause that would be creepy, but people I know. Mi casa is es su casa I always say. Only I don't have a casa and the people I know who do don't play well with others.

Another big thing about having your own place, besides all the fabulous fictious bashes I'd throw, would be to show the damn place off to begin with. How many of my friends have moved into homes quietly never to have a housewarming. Remember housewarmings? What a neat idea. Hey! I bought a new house and I'm SO excited about it that I want to invite everybody over to see it. Isn't that nice? Instead here in NJ, people scrape just enough money together to buy the house that I guess they're too bitter or too poor to feel like celebrating anymore.

The only exception to the rule as far as I can see are those lame, Tupperwareesque parties that people throw. Really you can insert any overpriced product in for the word Tupperware. They have 'em for kitchenware, for houseware, candlewear...wherever. I hate being invited to those kinds of things because it's such a catch 22. Part of me wants to go to be social and to, I'll be honest, see your house. But part of hates going because I know I won't want to buy anything and YOU know I won't want to buy anything but I'll probably end up buying something anyhow because you were nice enough to invite me in the first place, not to mention you gave me cheese and crackers.

Plus, people fawn over the most idiotic things at these parties. As if they've just discovered the dish to end all dishes. And if you go to these things as often as you are invited, how many new items can you really be considering anyhow? The real kicker being you walk out, overpriced purchase complete and now all you have to do is wait another 6 to 8 weeks to use the damn gravy boat in the first place. Ironically by the time the item finally shows up the holiday season will be over and the entertaining along with it. You would think random, impulse buys at these sorts of events would be the very thing that would get more people having more parties to use such items but it doesn't happen that way. This could be because they had to refinance the home they just bought to cover the expenses encurred in the first place. Who knew there was a price tag attached to being social?

Of course like I always do, I look at things from more than one angle. I'm not without fault. Maybe people are having more events and I'm just not getting invited. Or maybe I just hang out with the wrong crowd.

To review, if you have a house and you have friends, please introduce the two to one another. You'd be surprised how well they'll get along.

 

 


Blog Roll [−]

Blogging Chicks [−]

Blogger Chicks [−]

Blog Linker [−]





Google
Futon Critic
IMDB
Melodic.net
80's TV Themes
Slyck
The Onion
Television Without Pity
Modern Humorist
Best Week Ever Blog
American Idol


Carnival-small

Who Links Here

Listed on Blogwise
Join BloggerChicks
Blog Flux Directory
ESL and EFL Blogs
Best news blogs

Nubbit Blog Directory

Bloggy Award

TFS 100 TopBlogs

Top Blogs Personal Personal Blogs Personal Blogs Top 

blogs

 

  online