My Wishlist

Runner-Up Best Overall Blog of 2005!

I'm a down to earth girl who loves to laugh at others...I mean make others laugh.
View my complete profile
Blogroll Me!   Review My Site   Site Feed MySpace Profile Facebook Profile   Friendster Profile

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Art of Getting By and get new posts delivered to your in-box daily!


powered by Bloglet
Subscribe with Bloglines

 

"This is the most exciting day of my life...and I was pulled on stage once to dance at a Bruce Springsteen concert."
30 Rock

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


This blog has been chosen
as a 2005 BEST

 

 

Thursday, November 17, 2005

But Can They Sing?

The short answer is a resounding NO, butj just like the saying goes, this post ain't over till the crappy actors sing.

Has anyone been watching VH1's show But Can They Sing? Basically they take celebrities that make Kathy "C List" Griffin look like an A lister and have them perform songs. Each week another celeb is bumped off, a la American Idol until one "celebrity" is left standing as the best "singer".

Before this show came on I thought for sure it would have some redeeming qualities. After all, there are plenty of "triple threat" artists out there in entertainment that are the industry's best kept secrets. Don't take my word for it. Just ask J-Lo or Frank Stallone.

But I should have realized this wasn't going to be the case when I saw the list of said celebrities: Kim Alexis, Myrka Dellanos, Bai Ling, Antonio Sabato Jr., Larry Holmes, Carmine Gotti, Morgan Fairchild, Michael Copon and Joe Pantoliano aka Joey Pants. By the way, if you have no idea who Myrka, Carmine or Michael are, that makes you and the rest of America.

Actually, I was excited to see what Joey Pants had to offer. I've been a long time fan of the man's work. He's good with comedy. He's good with drama. So like Meatloaf said, two out of three ain't bad. Unfortunately, my dreams of Joey Pants being the next Billy Vera were short lived as Joey's run lasted only one short week. While Joey was far from star material, he definitely didn't deserve to go first. Once again, America decided to make a mockery of the voting process. If you follow politics in any capacity you know reality television is not the only place this has been known to happen.

Watching one week was just to satisfy my curiosity. Can they sing? No. Now at this point most people would move on. But I forgot that I Tivo Season Passed it. What can I say? I have a tendency to be awfully optimistic when it comes to crappy television. Instead I found myself fast forwarding my way through another episode or two, just to see if it got any better.

It didn't.

And now, now I'm afraid I can't leave things on a bad note. I have to stick it out and see who comes out swinging..er singing. Five remain standing and out of them only one is semi redeemable in my eyes: Michael "One Tree Hill" Copon. He's the closest one to the motto of this blog anyway; he's gotten by.

Antonio Sabato Jr. hoped he'd get by on something else if you know what I mean, but the world no longer needs Ricky Martin and he sorta could sing. I think Sabato secretly thought he'd make it just because he once appeared in a Janet Jackson video. He was wrong.

In the future, it would be nice if they posed the question But Can They Sing? and the answer was really one up for debate. You know, taking successful artists and making do things like sing acapella, sing an original song or sing, period.

Come to think of it, bringing people like J-Lo into the mix might not be such a bad idea after all.

 

 


Blog Roll [−]

Blogging Chicks [−]

Blogger Chicks [−]

Blog Linker [−]





Google
Futon Critic
IMDB
Melodic.net
80's TV Themes
Slyck
The Onion
Television Without Pity
Modern Humorist
Best Week Ever Blog
American Idol


Carnival-small

Who Links Here

Listed on Blogwise
Join BloggerChicks
Blog Flux Directory
ESL and EFL Blogs
Best news blogs

Nubbit Blog Directory

Bloggy Award

TFS 100 TopBlogs

Top Blogs Personal Personal Blogs Personal Blogs Top 

blogs

 

  online