My Wishlist

Runner-Up Best Overall Blog of 2005!

I'm a down to earth girl who loves to laugh at others...I mean make others laugh.
View my complete profile
Blogroll Me!   Review My Site   Site Feed MySpace Profile Facebook Profile   Friendster Profile

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Art of Getting By and get new posts delivered to your in-box daily!


powered by Bloglet
Subscribe with Bloglines

 

"This is the most exciting day of my life...and I was pulled on stage once to dance at a Bruce Springsteen concert."
30 Rock

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


This blog has been chosen
as a 2005 BEST

 

 

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Intergalactic Planetary

Update- Kara from Life Or Something Like It brought to my attention that this site couldn't be seen in IE. So my boyfriend did some tweaking and thinks he traced it to a Blogrolling/Blogger Chicks issue. Has anyone else had problems? For awhile I temporarily removed the code but it seems that IE will load, it just takes longer to do so. I did check out a few other sites that are on the Blogger Chicks list in IE and they did seem to have the same or a similiar, problem. I don't know which version of IE they are using. I am using 6.0 to test this. If you are a Blogger Chick (or even just someone who uses IE) and have had this problem too, please let me know.

It's been a few days which may translate to old news to you, but there wasn't a good time to post this before then. And just think, everyone and their very educated mother were writing about this on Friday. So now it's fresh again!

This just in. Pluto is not, I repeat not a planet.

There's been talk about giving Pluto the boot for sometime now. But it's like the end of the world or California falling into the ocean. You figure it may happen someday, but it's outta sight, out of mind. Worrying about Pluto's status has barely been a blip on my radar.

Ironically, this is exactly what caused the demotion.

According to stuffy, intellectual astronomer types, a planet is classified as the following: "a celestial body that is in orbit around the sun, has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a ... nearly round shape, and has cleared the neighborhood around its orbit."

All of that is just fancy talk that says Pluto should hang out with planets its own size. Only those guys are not considered planets, but dwarfs. But if we're being technical, (and really, when talking about things like planet classification how can you not), they are planets. By definition they are dwarf planets along with asteroids, comets, and other natural flavors satellites.

But I'm wondering. What do you do when you've put in over sixty years of service as a planet, and then suddenly, just like that, you're demoted? And to think us humans think it's tough being canned after a few measley years of service. Nobody knows the trouble Pluto has seen.

Suddenly you're stripped of your reputation. You're like the Rodney Dangerfield of the galaxy; you can't get no respect. And forget about sprucing up the old resume. How do you dance around the fact that you aren't dancing around anything, anymore, but rather tiptoeing, along with the rest of the galaxy's misfit toys?

Not to mention the fact of what this means to educators like myself. In fact, I was at school when I first heard of the demotion. My principal came running out, all worried about what this means for the children. Every year we study the planets in depth in third grade. The kids do reports. We teach them mnemonic devices like My Very Educated Mother Jupiter Served Us Nine Pizzas, albeit that goes against what any good mother would actually do. But what do we say now? My Very Educated Mother Just Screwed Us Nouns somehow just doesn't have the same ring to it.

It was that moment I remembered that I have a huge rug in the back of my classroom that is a planetary theme. My vice principal advised putting a pillow over Pluto, but I say Pluto should not go quietly into that good night.

In the end, when you think about it, it was a lose/lose situation for educators everywhere. In one scenario, the International Astronomical Union had considered increasing the number of planets from nine to twelve. That would mean larger rugs and even longer mnemonic devices which really would defeat the purpose of why abbreviations are so great to begin with.

Yes my friends, it's time to face facts. Up is now down. Down is now up. Who knows? Maybe this is just the beginning and Belinda Carlise was right after all.

Heaven really is a place on earth.

 

 


Blog Roll [−]

Blogging Chicks [−]

Blogger Chicks [−]

Blog Linker [−]





Google
Futon Critic
IMDB
Melodic.net
80's TV Themes
Slyck
The Onion
Television Without Pity
Modern Humorist
Best Week Ever Blog
American Idol


Carnival-small

Who Links Here

Listed on Blogwise
Join BloggerChicks
Blog Flux Directory
ESL and EFL Blogs
Best news blogs

Nubbit Blog Directory

Bloggy Award

TFS 100 TopBlogs

Top Blogs Personal Personal Blogs Personal Blogs Top 

blogs

 

  online