My Wishlist

Runner-Up Best Overall Blog of 2005!

I'm a down to earth girl who loves to laugh at others...I mean make others laugh.
View my complete profile
Blogroll Me!   Review My Site   Site Feed MySpace Profile Facebook Profile   Friendster Profile

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Art of Getting By and get new posts delivered to your in-box daily!


powered by Bloglet
Subscribe with Bloglines

 

"This is the most exciting day of my life...and I was pulled on stage once to dance at a Bruce Springsteen concert."
30 Rock

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


This blog has been chosen
as a 2005 BEST

 

 

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Write Back Weekend "If You Want My Body And You Think I'm Sexy"

In honor of People magazine's time honored tradition, last week's TITMT asked you who you thought the famous sexiest men (or women as the case may be) were.

But in order to define who is sexy, you first have to define what is sexy. For everyone, this answer differs greatly. For instance, some people prefer brains over brawn, or in a guy's case, brains over boobs. I know it's hard to believe, but it does happen. Others like a good sense of humor. Then there are those that like their men (or women) like they like wine, aged to perfection and different depending on what and where you're eating at the time. Variety, after all, is the spice of life.

But there's something interesting that can be said about the choices we make from afar. When we pick out our sexiest celebrities we might not realize it, but we are really making a much bigger statement about our tastes in the opposite sex. Sometimes this can be mirrored in the choices we have made with our everyday mates, other times even the choices themselves rarely overlap. This is our chance to speak on what attracts us without any false expectations. This is why expressing interest in celebrities is such a safe thing to do.

While my favorite male celebrity list has changed a bit over the years, it isn't so much for loss of interest. I like to think of it as being expanded upon every time I add a new guy to the mix. The old school crushes, meanwhile usually stay pretty much intact. I've decided one thing about myself over time; I'm nothing if not loyal.

So this time I limited my list to ten guys who are sexy to me, in no particular order. You will however, notice some commonalities in what I consider sexy. For instance, I often pick out dark haired guys with brown or blue eyes. I also am a sucker for a boyish face, lanky frame and a killer sense of humor. I know there are more men to add to this list, but just like Becky stated, sometimes an actor's sexiness is like a shooting star, fleeting and seen in one movie role, never to be spoken of again. The sexiness of other stars, however, does not burn out. For the most part, those are the guys I'm hoping graced this much abbreviated list.

1. George Clooney- Yes, it's a bit redundant since he was chosen as this year's sexiest man by People magazine too, but what can I say, great minds think alike. In my defense though I will say I liked George Clooney long before the rest of the world found him to be sexy, even before I personally knew what sexy was. His contagious grin can be traced all the way back to when I watched him in his days as the lovable George the handyman on The Facts of Life. Right around the same time he started in E/R the first time around, when it was a kooky comedy, not a heavy handed drama. Clooney clowned around for years before hitting it big with the second ER, and subsequently the rest of the world. The great thing about him is that whether he is scruffy or clean shaven, chubby or lean, he still manages to look sexy. Now, at age 45, he shows no signs of slowing down, either.

2. Ethan Embry- Unfortunately I wish I could say the same kind things about Mr. Embry that I did about George Clooney. For me, Embry is like that childhood crush you simply cannot get over. Since Dutch in 1991 I have followed this man's career like white on rice. I was with him when he was Ethan Randall. I was with him through his (and my) alternative days in Empire Records and That Thing You Do. I even cheered when he finally got to be the lead in the teen comedy, Can't Hardly Wait. But like any childhood crush, it's a bit devastating to show up to the high school reunion and see your former boy toy has become a bit of a bloated and balding mess. Only with Embry the reunion was a show called Brotherhood that aired this summer and he's only 28 years young. Don't get me wrong, I'll be really happy if he finally finds mainstream success. Still, it is bittersweet at the same time considering he now has things written about him like this. Regardless of Embry's timeline, or hairline for that matter, I will always love him and his wide-eyed portrayals of lovable characters.

3. Randall Batinkoff- Where there is Ethan Embry there is always, always Randall Batinkoff. As far as I know, these two guys have never worked together, and they probably don't share anything in common besides the one time name of "Randall" and of course, someone who was obsessed with both of them simultaneously. My love for Batinkoff can be found as far back as the late 80's when he played Molly Ringwald's beau in the movie, For Keeps. I instantly fell in love with his lanky frame, great hair and boyish charm. It was a good four years before I would see something new from Batinkoff and even then it was a bit yet crucial part in School Ties. That didn't stop me from getting so excited, however, when any new projects finally rolled through. Even now, after I have begrudgingly accepted that Batinkoff will probably always be, at best, the second banana, my love for him lives on.

4. Matthew Perry- What's interesting about Matthew Perry is that while I have also known of him for years and years now, I did not like him in the beginning, or at the very least, I didn't care either way about him. I think that's because back in the eighties, he seemed to guest star on everything, but also managed to do very little at the same time. He was the spoiled tennis star on an old school 90210 and the Carol's boyfriend that tragically dies on Growing Pains.

But then I figured it out. Before Friends, none of the roles that featured Perry, really, truly featured Perry. It's weird to think that now because his personality seems to be so strong. So when Friends came around I was pleasantly surprised about how much I loved the man. And to think, I spent the eighties watching made for tv movies like Dance Till' Dawn and worshipping the likes of Chris Young. All along Perry was under my nose but I was too young to see it! For me, the first half of Friends was far superior Perry wise. Those were the years when Chandler, his character, was at its wise-cracking best. That was before they made the grave mistake of pairing him with Monica and taking the sarcasm out of his soul that is. Now Matthew Perry is on one of my new favorite shows, Studio 60. Lucky for me his character of Matt is like Chandler, only with slightly less one-liners and no Monica in tow.

5. John Krasinski- The Office's John Krasinski is a somewhat new addition to the list, but I know I'm not alone in my lusting considering I am beginning to run in to a good amount of like-minded bloggers. I didn't know of him before the show and at 27 he's (gasp) a younger man! I guess the older I get, that's bound to happen, right? Anyway, he's perfect with his subtle mix of sarcasm and sanity. If you haven't checked The Office out yet, you really should. If you still decide not to though it's ok. I hear he's in talks to star in a few projects with A-listers so chances are you'll get your taste of Krasinski sooner or later.

6. Joshua Jackson- Another old school reference. Back in the day though, Dawson's Creek was THE show not to miss. In the beginning everyone was jonesing for Dawson, including Mrs. Tom Cruise aka Katie Holmes aka Joey Potter. But it didn't take long before Joey and viewers alike started seeing the appeal of the bigger personality (and cuter smile) of Mr. Pacey Witter. I didn't watch Dawson's Creek near the end, however, I did catch the last episode for old time's sake. I still try to follow Jackson's career since I am a fan, but it's hard considering he doesn't do much. I've always seen him as a younger George Clooney in some respect. I think it's because my boyfriend has been compared to both of them and I'm just trying to keep the dream alive.

7. John Mayer- After some careful consideration I added John Mayer to the list. He's what I like to call the "thinking woman's sex symbol". Some might argue that isn't true since Mayer is obviously good looking, except I can't like the long-haired look as much on him. But Mayer's appeal is more than his looks, or even his music. If you've ever seen him interviewed or speak candidly for any length of time you'd know what I mean. He has a quick wit and a good database of pop culture references, a must in my book. I tried to link to a good picture of Mayer that showcased this, him of one holding Debbie Gibson's Out of the Blue album next to his head, but the link wouldn't work. As I like to joke a lot, I'd take a side of Mayer.

8. Heath Ledger- It's funny to look back on how my love affair with Heath Ledger evolved. The first movie I ever saw him in is now one of my all time favorites, 10 Things I Hate About You. But it was Ledger's portrayal of Patrick Verona in the updated version of Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew that really got me. His character oozed sexiness, despite seeming completely unsexy at the beginning of the film. A mere hour later, however, I couldn't believe I had ever thought otherwise. His sexiness even managed to transcend his role as a gay cowboy in Brokeback Mountain. Now that my friends, takes a special kind of sexiness.

9. Justin Timberlake and Ryan Phillippe- Notice that I paired Timberlake and Phillippe together. The pairing was intentional because they are very similar looks wise. Choosing just one is just silly and unnecessary. They are both white boys with tremendous amounts of talent. While Timberlake has acted, his first love is music. Phillippe meanwhile is known only for acting and being Mr. Reese Witherspoon, that is. Maybe he sings, too. He does, after all, look like he could have been on the Mickey Mouse Club. Even Justin Timberlake himself, once as Wayne Brady show parody skit cooed, "Did I happen to mention, I look like that dude from Cruel Intentions?"

10. Tom Everett Scott- In college I had a definite That Thing You Do phase. My initial obsession, at the time, was with the previously mentioned Ethan Embry. I saw the movie four times in the theater alone for that simple fact. But my love for the movie actually ran much deeper than Embry. It was a great movie that is in my top five favorite movies of all time. But that's not really important now. What's important is that That Thing You Do is the movie that introduced me to Mr. Tom Everett Scott. Since then Scott has done a lot of roles in B moves. This past summer though he resurfaced as somewhat of a leading man in the TNT series, Saved. Before I only had brief acknowledgment of this man. This time around though, I'm a full fledged fan.

Some honorable mentions include...

The OC's Adam Brody, Patrick "McDreamy" Dempsey, Matthew "alright, alright" McConaughey, Paul "pretty boy" Walker, Ryan "sarcasm king" Reynolds, Topher Grace and Danny Masterson (though amazingly I'm not, nor have I ever been a That 70's Show fiend) Ben "now J-Lo free" Affleck, Michael "I've never seen Alias" Vartan, Vince "you're so money" Vaughn, new love, Zach "the dude from Friday Night Lights, which you all should watch, Deann was right!" Gilford and the classic, Brad Pitt.

 

 


Blog Roll [−]

Blogging Chicks [−]

Blogger Chicks [−]

Blog Linker [−]





Google
Futon Critic
IMDB
Melodic.net
80's TV Themes
Slyck
The Onion
Television Without Pity
Modern Humorist
Best Week Ever Blog
American Idol


Carnival-small

Who Links Here

Listed on Blogwise
Join BloggerChicks
Blog Flux Directory
ESL and EFL Blogs
Best news blogs

Nubbit Blog Directory

Bloggy Award

TFS 100 TopBlogs

Top Blogs Personal Personal Blogs Personal Blogs Top 

blogs

 

  online