My Wishlist

Runner-Up Best Overall Blog of 2005!

I'm a down to earth girl who loves to laugh at others...I mean make others laugh.
View my complete profile
Blogroll Me!   Review My Site   Site Feed MySpace Profile Facebook Profile   Friendster Profile

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Art of Getting By and get new posts delivered to your in-box daily!


powered by Bloglet
Subscribe with Bloglines

 

"This is the most exciting day of my life...and I was pulled on stage once to dance at a Bruce Springsteen concert."
30 Rock

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


This blog has been chosen
as a 2005 BEST

 

 

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Not All Child Stars Become Bargain Bin Casualties

I've always prided myself on being a huge musical whore which thankfully, is the only kind've whore I want to be. When I say whore, I say it with the utmost respect. In this case, I'm referring to my incessant need to seek out new music. It's always been with me, and God willing, it always will.

That being said, I don't know why I haven't used this blog for musical recommendations that much. You couldn't possibly know this, but usually I'm like the Fiddler On The Roof of musical matchmakings and yes, just like a traditional matchmaker, I "meddle" whether you want me to or not. Just ask me to see the album reviews section of my life.

So without further adieu, I bring you Rilo Kiley. I got into Rilo Kiley about a year or so ago and I've been meaning to write a post about them ever since. But it was never the right time and so I never did. Until now, that is.

For me, the most intiguing thing about finding a band like Rilo Kiley would normally be all the great music I've found in the process. But the only thing that could top that is the where are they now? component that Rilo Kiley brings to the table as their lead singer is former child actress, Jenny Lewis.

Now, you might not think you know Jenny Lewis. Hell, you really might not know her. Chances are if you aren't my age and grew up when Jenny grew up and/or didn't have kids growing up at the time it is possible. I don't know what it is about the process some child stars go through in the wacky world of show business, but I've always been obsessed with child stars and puberty. I mean we all go through it. But they get to go through it in public and their ultimate transformation is usually such a big deal. If you don't believe me, just ask Macauley Culkin. He's still waiting for his to happen.

I didn't even know Jenny could sing, though the triple threat Jon Benet type deal is usually par for the course in Hollywood. I for one would also love to know how that grew into this. I could write a thesis on the evolution or devolution as the case may be, of child stars, I swear. My Rick Schroeder theory alone is already an in depth study and alas, a post for another time.

Anyway, if you like taking musical advice from nearly complete strangers, then, by all means,Rilo Kiley is most definitely worth checking out. My personal faves include: It's A Hit, The Absence of God, More Adventurous, It Just Is, Teenage Love Song, A Better Son/Daughter and the incomparable, Does He Love You? I would say I know you will like it, but frankly, I don't know you so I can't make that guarantee.

Oh and while you're at it, I highly recommend renting the softer side of Jenny in Big Girls Don't Cry...They Get Even. Simply watch and listen. You can thank me later.

 

 


Blog Roll [−]

Blogging Chicks [−]

Blogger Chicks [−]

Blog Linker [−]





Google
Futon Critic
IMDB
Melodic.net
80's TV Themes
Slyck
The Onion
Television Without Pity
Modern Humorist
Best Week Ever Blog
American Idol


Carnival-small

Who Links Here

Listed on Blogwise
Join BloggerChicks
Blog Flux Directory
ESL and EFL Blogs
Best news blogs

Nubbit Blog Directory

Bloggy Award

TFS 100 TopBlogs

Top Blogs Personal Personal Blogs Personal Blogs Top 

blogs

 

  online