My Wishlist

Runner-Up Best Overall Blog of 2005!

I'm a down to earth girl who loves to laugh at others...I mean make others laugh.
View my complete profile
Blogroll Me!   Review My Site   Site Feed MySpace Profile Facebook Profile   Friendster Profile

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Art of Getting By and get new posts delivered to your in-box daily!


powered by Bloglet
Subscribe with Bloglines

 

"This is the most exciting day of my life...and I was pulled on stage once to dance at a Bruce Springsteen concert."
30 Rock

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


This blog has been chosen
as a 2005 BEST

 

 

Monday, May 23, 2005

Don't Know What You've Got Till It's Gone

Last fall, I commented about how much I love all things autumn. Really, I love fall because that is when the mind numbing repeats are finally behind us, and our beloved favorites finally return to television. In addition, new shows that will hopefully become fast favorites also premiere for the very first time. This is a very exciting time for me historically, probably too exciting given that I am now a grown adult.

Still, with all of the excitement at the supposed return of my primetime playground, I know that before I know it, some of these shows will be knocking on death's door. Some are lucky enough to remain untouched the whole season, while others bite the dust quicker than you can say Life On A Stick.

This year I was lucky enough to get on board with some solid programs that are undeniably safe and probably even headed to the land of syndication one day. Yes, new shows like Desperate Housewives, The Office and Lost are keepers. Some of returning favorites are also in the clear including Gilmore Girls, The OC, Amazing Race, and of course, American Idol. There are even those that skated past by the hair of their chinney chin chin such as The Bachelor and Arrested Development.

But for every greenlighted program, there is another show that wasn't quite as lucky. Early on I mourned the demise of Life As We Know It, an intelligent drama about teenagers which, not unlike the late great My So-Called Life, was doomed from the start.

Also gone but not forgotten is Joan of Arcadia. With Joan the writing was on the wall. Here's a show where the lead character, Joan talks to God and is supposed to learn life lessons along the way. Only problem was, even Amber Tamblyn who played Joan would tell you that after a season and a half Joan didn't seem to be learning, well much of anything.

Then there was the somewhat surprising demise of Jack and Bobby. Although this was freshman series was far from a hit, it had promise of being the little show that could as it was on the network that is notorious for giving shows a chance, The WB. Apparently even The WB, all riding high in their Gilmore-ferred, One Tree Hilled glory decided not to take a chance, which was a shame.

Still, the one that really stings is the loss of my favorite, American Dreams. I know, I know I wrote a post about how upset I was about American Dreams in the past, so it really makes no sense to elaborate about it here. I even signed the petition to NBC, but I should have known it was all in vain. But what hurts even more is what NBC opted to take on, not what it cancelled. Apparently shows like The Apprentice with Martha Stewart and another seeason of the weight watching show The Biggest Loser are superior choices to a historical family drama rooted in morals. Silly me for thinking the American public would want otherwise.

Even more disturbing than all of these cancellations is looking forward to the future. Infact, stars from American Dreams and Life As We Know It have already lined up new gigs. I don't know about you, but for me, watching actors I've grown to know and love as one role take on another is about as fun as watching your ex settle down with someone new. It's for this reason alone I understand an actor's hesitancy to sign on to a tv program at the risk of being typecast. No matter how many jobs Michael J. Fox gets, he will always be Alex P. Keaton from Family Ties and no matter how many jobs Kirk Cameron doesn't get he will always be Mike Seaver on Growing Pains.

The silver lining to this cloud is that there are more and more choices out there then ever before. As soon as one favorite gets cancelled, there's another one waiting in the wings, ready to take it's place. Sort've. Just look at two of the most so- cheesy-they-are-intriguing summer premieres on the horizon: Hit Me Baby One More Time and Dancing With The Stars. And the kicker? Summer shows, rarely, if ever, get the boot.

But regardless of how I feel about it, times marches on. Shows I watch get cancelled and shows I watch will be cancelled again. It's a tried and true method actually. Come to think of it, if I really, really recommend a show, I would stay away from it if I were you.

Seriously, don't say I didn't warn you.

 

 


Blog Roll [−]

Blogging Chicks [−]

Blogger Chicks [−]

Blog Linker [−]





Google
Futon Critic
IMDB
Melodic.net
80's TV Themes
Slyck
The Onion
Television Without Pity
Modern Humorist
Best Week Ever Blog
American Idol


Carnival-small

Who Links Here

Listed on Blogwise
Join BloggerChicks
Blog Flux Directory
ESL and EFL Blogs
Best news blogs

Nubbit Blog Directory

Bloggy Award

TFS 100 TopBlogs

Top Blogs Personal Personal Blogs Personal Blogs Top 

blogs

 

  online