My Wishlist

Runner-Up Best Overall Blog of 2005!

I'm a down to earth girl who loves to laugh at others...I mean make others laugh.
View my complete profile
Blogroll Me!   Review My Site   Site Feed MySpace Profile Facebook Profile   Friendster Profile

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Art of Getting By and get new posts delivered to your in-box daily!


powered by Bloglet
Subscribe with Bloglines

 

"This is the most exciting day of my life...and I was pulled on stage once to dance at a Bruce Springsteen concert."
30 Rock

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


This blog has been chosen
as a 2005 BEST

 

 

Friday, December 02, 2005

Every Girl's Crazy About A Sharp Dressed Man

If I could walk in the shoes of the opposite sex for only one day, there would be a lot I'd love to do. In fact, I think it would be great if both sexes had the chance to go all Freaky Friday every once and awhile. Men could get a feel for what it's like to have pregnancy cravings and PMS, while women could get an idea of what it feels like to be obsessed with sports, beer and breasts.

But since in this day and age this just isn't possible I have to settle for the next best thing, living vicariously through the opposite sex.

One thing that women, as a gender, are known for are their feelings toward fashion. When the going gets tough for women the women get shopping. Even I, yes I, have been powerless to the powers of a good pullover every once and awhile. Still, I am a far cry from the obsessive shopper most women are. I am a get in and get out kinda girl. Sure I love relishing in the purchase, but the actual scavenger hunt part I could do without.

In this way I am a lot like men, but this is where the similarities in fashion end. Because I've thought about how I'd feel about fashion if I were a guy and the answer is a simple one: I'd be all about the tie.

Seriously. I don't know why more men don't jump on this. For girls, fashion possibilities are endless. We could go shortsleeve, we could long. We could wear pants, we could wear a skirt. We can go school girl or go slut...or if we're really lucky, we can even pull off a successful combo of both.

But for men, self expression in the form of fashion is not quite so easy. They could wear pants or they could wear...pants. They have the nail biting choice between dress pants and casual pants, but that's about it. Some might argue this is the way men like it, but I beg to differ. I say this is precisely why men don't care about what they wear, because there's nothing to care about.

Think about it. Without the tie a suit is just a suit. A guy is just a guy. The tie is an accessory some men add, the way some women might add a piece of jewelry. But men clearly need the tie more so than the women need that necklace.

Men need to build on this. With the tie, the chances to express oneself are immeasurable because the tie is one form of fashion for men where a vast array of choices are eviden. And as we all know, the more choices there are, the more chances there are to show your true colors.

There are ties with a lot of colors, ties with cartoon characters and ties that "tie" into holiday themes. Then there are more subdued ties with solid colors or soft pastels. Each and every tie says something different about the guy, just like different articles of clothing say something different about a girl. Which, by the way, reminds me of another argument for how men secretly care more about fashion than even they realize. Most men put in their two cents about what they like to see on girls. If they didn't care about fashion at all, would they even care to comment? Huh! Huh?!

If any of the above hasn't convinced you let me now bring it full circle. Ask most girls and they will tell you this: from day to day they might not care what their guy wears, but when they get all dressed up they go ga ga for a guy who can clean up nicely. So men, if you're reading this, if you're not going to do it for yourself, at least do it for the ladies in your lives. And for those of you who aren't tied up the same applies, tenfold. So it doesn't matter who wins in the ongoing battle of the sexes.

Cause in my mind, it always comes down to a tie.

 

 


Blog Roll [−]

Blogging Chicks [−]

Blogger Chicks [−]

Blog Linker [−]





Google
Futon Critic
IMDB
Melodic.net
80's TV Themes
Slyck
The Onion
Television Without Pity
Modern Humorist
Best Week Ever Blog
American Idol


Carnival-small

Who Links Here

Listed on Blogwise
Join BloggerChicks
Blog Flux Directory
ESL and EFL Blogs
Best news blogs

Nubbit Blog Directory

Bloggy Award

TFS 100 TopBlogs

Top Blogs Personal Personal Blogs Personal Blogs Top 

blogs

 

  online