My Wishlist

Runner-Up Best Overall Blog of 2005!

I'm a down to earth girl who loves to laugh at others...I mean make others laugh.
View my complete profile
Blogroll Me!   Review My Site   Site Feed MySpace Profile Facebook Profile   Friendster Profile

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Art of Getting By and get new posts delivered to your in-box daily!


powered by Bloglet
Subscribe with Bloglines

 

"This is the most exciting day of my life...and I was pulled on stage once to dance at a Bruce Springsteen concert."
30 Rock

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


This blog has been chosen
as a 2005 BEST

 

 

Friday, February 24, 2006

Ice, Ice Baby

If you get the chance, please go visit new renter, My Corner of the Web. Remember, no matter what you do, nobody puts My Corner of the Web...IN a corner except my corner herself.

My whole life, sports and I have been like oil and water; we simply don't mix.

I throw like a girl. I have no strength. I'm not super competitive. Do I really need to keep going?

So it's not surprise that the feelings for the sports I play, carry over to the sports that I watch. In fact, I have only watched one sport with regularity. That sport, dear Internets, is ice skating.

I've heard the words of the naysayers before and frankly, they can be cold as ice. No, not all ice skaters are gay and yes, ice skating IS a real sport. Just because they get to wear pretty costumes and dance to fun music does not mean it's any easier than tackling or hitting a homerun. In fact, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say ice skating can skate circles around those other sports any day.

My love affair with the ice first came about when I discovered the man who will no doubt go do down as the greatest male figure skater of all time. No, I'm not talking about the most uptight skater to ever grace the ice, Brian Boitano. I have long had a deep dislike for that man that I simply cannot put into words. The man I'm talking about is none other than Mr. Scott "back flip efficiando" Hamilton.

When I was in about seventh or eighth grade I had to do a biography on a famous person. I chose Scott Hamilton. Say what you will, but Scott Hamilton has to be one of the most inspiring people, EVER. He was adopted, came down with a mysterious illness, was given six months to live, overcame the odds and went on to win an Olympic Gold medal in 1984. Now he still skates and commentates, eventhough in 1997 he was diagnosed with cancer. I cried like a baby my whole way through reading that book. Seriously. Scott Hamilton and Ryan White are the only two people who hold that honor. Take that, Bridges Of Madison County.

Then in 1992 I watched the Winter Olympics and rooted for great male skaters like Kurt "my brother is not Scott Hamilton" Browning, Paul "I'm a lawyer, I'm a skater, I'm a lawyer, I'm a skater" Wylie and Elvis "I can also make a legendary name seem cool" Stojko. I watched the women too, but for some reason I never grew quite as attached to that group.

My favorite skater of the 1992 Olympic games though had to be Christopher "The Showman" Bowman. Once a child actor, Christopher was a born entertainer and arguably the most naturally charismatic, dramatic and troubled figure skater of his time. Picture Robert Downey Jr. on ice and you had Chris. He never quite lived up to his potential though and now he's coaching in the sticks somewhere.

Not only was 1992 a great year for real ice skating, it was also a great year for fake ice skating. This was because it was the same year one of my favorite films of all time came out. That movie is The Cutting Edge.

Touted as the ultimate "Love/Skate Relationship", I was embarrasingly excited about the release of this movie long before it was released to theaters. The Cutting Edge had it all. It was a love story. It had sports. It had legendary actor, Terry O' Quinn. I mean really, what more could a girl ask for?

Imagine my surprise when I found out recently that they actually made The Cutting Edge 2. Apparently this time around it's the story of Doug Dorsey and Kate Moseley's daughter, which incidentally sounds like the exact same story only with a much smaller "cold shoulder". I mean I haven't seen it, but making The Cutting Edge without Moira Kelly or D.B. Sweeney? That's just like eating the icing without the cake.

Unfortunately, for all the glory, many Olympic athletes have a relatively short shelf life, literally, ending up on Wheaties boxes for a month or two, never to be heard from again. Others resurface on the sidelines as coaches, commentators or on shows like Skating With Celebrities. Some are even involved in a scandal or two. And they say ice skating is a boring sport.

Given my past love affair with ice skating, I entered the 2006 Winter Olympics season with the best of intentions. Not to be "toepicky", but soon after I found out Michelle Kwan was apparently "washed up" and forced into an early retirement at the age of 25, the rest of the lot somehow lost their luster.

I admire the hell out of ice skaters, even if I still can't tell the difference between a double axle and triple sow kow. But I'm afraid, for now, the days of the Ice Castles in the sky are but a frosty footed memory.

 

 


Blog Roll [−]

Blogging Chicks [−]

Blogger Chicks [−]

Blog Linker [−]





Google
Futon Critic
IMDB
Melodic.net
80's TV Themes
Slyck
The Onion
Television Without Pity
Modern Humorist
Best Week Ever Blog
American Idol


Carnival-small

Who Links Here

Listed on Blogwise
Join BloggerChicks
Blog Flux Directory
ESL and EFL Blogs
Best news blogs

Nubbit Blog Directory

Bloggy Award

TFS 100 TopBlogs

Top Blogs Personal Personal Blogs Personal Blogs Top 

blogs

 

  online