My Wishlist

Runner-Up Best Overall Blog of 2005!

I'm a down to earth girl who loves to laugh at others...I mean make others laugh.
View my complete profile
Blogroll Me!   Review My Site   Site Feed MySpace Profile Facebook Profile   Friendster Profile

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Art of Getting By and get new posts delivered to your in-box daily!


powered by Bloglet
Subscribe with Bloglines

 

"This is the most exciting day of my life...and I was pulled on stage once to dance at a Bruce Springsteen concert."
30 Rock

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


This blog has been chosen
as a 2005 BEST

 

 

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Don't Take It Personal

The other day, on the way to visit the last of my three pregnant friends who recently gave birth, I stopped at the card store. I really wasn't going to buy another gift for her, but nevertheless, I made one of those "Oh This Is So Cute, Why Don't I Just Get It?" type purchases. Incidentally, I've decided its purchases like these that probably keep card stores in business.

You know the kinds of things I'm talking about. Key chains. Magnets. Notepads. Etc. The funny thing is these last minute knick knacks are not the kinds of things that you MUST have. They are impulse buys to the nth degree. In fact, most of the time the people you give them to probably agree, as they often end up cluttering desktops, closets and refrigerators. After all, they don't call them junk drawers for nothing.

Anyway, when and only when, you have a new baby it's cool to purchase everything personalized. However, somewhere between the ages of 13 and 18 this switches from being cool to being downright weird. The only reason to have your name on anything past a certain age is if you're going away to summer camp, and even then, at 15, your mom writing your name in your shorts with a permanent marker is just a tad on the shady side.

So cards in hand, I was ready to check out, when I saw this personalized magnet with the baby's name, Sophia on it. Not only was it a magnet, it was also a picture frame! And not only was it a picture frame, for a limited time offer, the magname (my new abbreviation for name based, magnet picture frames) also contained the meaning of the name Sophia! From here on in, the blonde gene kicks in. Wow, a personalized magnet with the meaning of the name? No one ever has one of those!

Which brings me to the main point of my post. Never in my life have I ever seen any item that contains the origin of names with anything negative. Bookmarks, t-shirts, mugs, you name it...no pun intended. Not only do these items never contain anything negative, they almost never say the same thing.

Now considering I no longer have the magname in my possession, I can't tell you what it said for the name Sophia. Instead I can give you the next best thing, what the internet says. Luckily their choices are even more diverse and overtly full of vague praise. The following are a few samples...

"Sophia"

Means "wisdom" in Greek. This was the name of an early, probably mythical, saint who died of grief after her three daughters were martyred.

The name of Sophia has given you sensitivity and appreciation for the finer and deeper things in life.

You can enjoy reading, study, and contemplation about many different subjects.

Beautiful girl with long legs, a shame her arse is the size of a small country.

Or my personal favorite,

Variant of Sophia.

Really. You don't say.

The martyr in me, would like to someday look up the origin of a name and find adjectives that surprise me, not inspire me.

Let's take the name John for instance (my apologies in advance for the dramatization for any John's that might be reading out there)

John- meaning jack of all trades, master of none. Selfish to a fault. Will amount to nothing. Out in eight to ten. Flirtatious, don't leave him alone with your sister...in bed.

Sorry, my fortune cookie and magname lifelines got crossed there for a minute.

Listen. Don't take my word for it. Take your name and look it up for yourself and then get back to me you virtuous, sensitive creature, you.

 

 


Blog Roll [−]

Blogging Chicks [−]

Blogger Chicks [−]

Blog Linker [−]





Google
Futon Critic
IMDB
Melodic.net
80's TV Themes
Slyck
The Onion
Television Without Pity
Modern Humorist
Best Week Ever Blog
American Idol


Carnival-small

Who Links Here

Listed on Blogwise
Join BloggerChicks
Blog Flux Directory
ESL and EFL Blogs
Best news blogs

Nubbit Blog Directory

Bloggy Award

TFS 100 TopBlogs

Top Blogs Personal Personal Blogs Personal Blogs Top 

blogs

 

  online