My Wishlist

Runner-Up Best Overall Blog of 2005!

I'm a down to earth girl who loves to laugh at others...I mean make others laugh.
View my complete profile
Blogroll Me!   Review My Site   Site Feed MySpace Profile Facebook Profile   Friendster Profile

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Art of Getting By and get new posts delivered to your in-box daily!


powered by Bloglet
Subscribe with Bloglines

 

"This is the most exciting day of my life...and I was pulled on stage once to dance at a Bruce Springsteen concert."
30 Rock

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


This blog has been chosen
as a 2005 BEST

 

 

Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Six Degrees of Bloggers

The power of the written word is really, quite a powerful tool. Take us bloggers for instance. If you've ever taken the time to Google yourself and/or your blog you might be surprised by what you'd find. I know I was.
In a recent Google outing, I discovered that besides the semi-strangers that read and post to my blog, that there are also TOTAL strangers doing this as well (only minus the whole posting thing, obviously). I have found these voyeurs, for lack of a better term, either by accident or by being, well...nosy.

There are even a few folks I found that had added me to their links unbeknownst to me. But just like the quiet kid who is crushing on you in the back of class, I might never have known of their existence otherwise.

The site meter has also served as quite an informative tool. I believe The Police said it best when they sang, "Every breath you take, every move you make, I'll be watching you." BTW, somehow this song was hailed as some big romantic gesture, wrapped up in swoonworthy Sting's vocal prowess, when in actuality it is really a creepy ode about some guy who makes Colin Farrell's obsession with himself look healthy.

But now, I've gone off on a few unrelated tangents.

For those of you who have a lovely site meter, the other thing to take note of is the interesting ways in which readers stumble upon your blog. Let's take my recent favorite for instance. Someone googled: "i love the 90's" "fat girl" on beach" A few others found me via: googling comedianne Gillian Vigman. I can just imagine the disappointment on these readers faces as I highly doubt my site filled their Gillian Vigman... OR even their fat girl on beach fix, for that matter.

Sometimes the path to one's blog is not as clear, but with a few simple clicks of the mouse, you can see how they know so and so... and so on. This is when you get the "a ha!" moment you were looking for. For a second you thought you were special, but you quickly come to realize you were merely a few clicks away from some dude who was probably bored one Sunday night. That or they were searching for Planet Janet or Janet Planet, sites which, are in no ways affiliated with mine. (Note to self: must change blog name as there is STILL too much confusion).

In short, I think I finally have gotten a tiny glimpse into what it must feel like to be Kevin Bacon. Of course there won't be whole games devoted to my blog anytime soon and I won't be winning awards or getting paid lots of money, but you know, there are some similarities. I mean at the very least we are both people with these lurking, seemingly unrelated connections... who have also been known to have a hell of a time as a result of Footloose.

 

 


Blog Roll [−]

Blogging Chicks [−]

Blogger Chicks [−]

Blog Linker [−]





Google
Futon Critic
IMDB
Melodic.net
80's TV Themes
Slyck
The Onion
Television Without Pity
Modern Humorist
Best Week Ever Blog
American Idol


Carnival-small

Who Links Here

Listed on Blogwise
Join BloggerChicks
Blog Flux Directory
ESL and EFL Blogs
Best news blogs

Nubbit Blog Directory

Bloggy Award

TFS 100 TopBlogs

Top Blogs Personal Personal Blogs Personal Blogs Top 

blogs

 

  online