My Wishlist

Runner-Up Best Overall Blog of 2005!

I'm a down to earth girl who loves to laugh at others...I mean make others laugh.
View my complete profile
Blogroll Me!   Review My Site   Site Feed MySpace Profile Facebook Profile   Friendster Profile

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Art of Getting By and get new posts delivered to your in-box daily!


powered by Bloglet
Subscribe with Bloglines

 

"This is the most exciting day of my life...and I was pulled on stage once to dance at a Bruce Springsteen concert."
30 Rock

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


This blog has been chosen
as a 2005 BEST

 

 

Tuesday, July 27, 2004

CALLING ALL CYBER GEEKS!

and I use that term with only the utmost respect...

I have spent the past few weeks dividing my time between applying for jobs (see below) and working on trying to make my blog a better place. I have some concrete ideas (and advice), but I thought I'd post here anyhow and open up my concerns to my devoted readers and other people who just might happen to stop by.

In an ideal cyber world, I would like to keep my blogspot site up and running, if only to redirect to my new site. Luckily that is possible since blogger services are for free. I have looked into domain names and the one(s) I want are available, so there's no problem with that.

I have been able to condense my moving woes into five, easy-to-digest categories:


1. Web Hosting


From the advice I've gotten so far, GoDaddy is the best deal I've heard about. They also offer both domain registration AND web hosting. I have a few others I have been exploring (i.e. IPowerWeb and Dreamhost) but I am willing to hear anyone out on this.

2. 2. Template Design/Maintenance

Since my site would still be in a blog format, I have given strong consideration to moving over to Movable Type. I have to make sure though that the host I choose supports this and (if at all possible) helps install it.So far most places seem to support it, but no one helps install it.:( Either way, I need to choose an option that is easy to update daily after the initial install for non-techies like myself.:) Somehow this ties into Typepad as well, but I'm still in the process of learning the difference between the two. I know, for instance, there is a free version of Movable Type, but Typepad is $4.95 a month. If I understand correctly, Typepad is the slightly idiot proof companion piece to Movable Type. Feel free to set me straight on this one though.

3. Logo Design

I have had a few specific ideas for template and logo design. Right now I have a definite logo I could use, but I was thinking about possibly opening it up to submissions if there is anyone who is REALLY dying to submit something to me (hey Kerrie said to ask). Of course if I used anyone's logo you would get full credit for it. Otherwise, I just need to figure out how to use the logo I have in reserve in whatever template I choose to use.

4. Revenue

This is another tricky one. I know that generating any kind of revenue is a longshot, but I'm putting it out there anyhow. I have seen some creative money making ideas such as AdSense, Amazon and CdBaby links. I have also seen Paypal donation options. I have been told though that your site has to have a certain degree of traffic (if anyone knows what that is, let me know) or you will be dropped anyhow. The "snobs" over at Google apparently do not accept personal sites either so it might take some creative marketing genius to pull this one off.

5. Copyrighting Online Content

This one I've been wondering about for awhile actually. No one can really tell me for sure if things you post on the wonderful World Wide Web are really copyright protected. I didn't know if there was an official word out on this.

So, there you have it. I have lots more to rant about, but I'm tired and I figured I should get orders of "business" up here before pleasure. If anyone has any info on ANY of the above or even wants to help with the endeavor, feel free to email me directly at: Jbranagan@softhome.net




 

 


Blog Roll [−]

Blogging Chicks [−]

Blogger Chicks [−]

Blog Linker [−]





Google
Futon Critic
IMDB
Melodic.net
80's TV Themes
Slyck
The Onion
Television Without Pity
Modern Humorist
Best Week Ever Blog
American Idol


Carnival-small

Who Links Here

Listed on Blogwise
Join BloggerChicks
Blog Flux Directory
ESL and EFL Blogs
Best news blogs

Nubbit Blog Directory

Bloggy Award

TFS 100 TopBlogs

Top Blogs Personal Personal Blogs Personal Blogs Top 

blogs

 

  online