My Wishlist

Runner-Up Best Overall Blog of 2005!

I'm a down to earth girl who loves to laugh at others...I mean make others laugh.
View my complete profile
Blogroll Me!   Review My Site   Site Feed MySpace Profile Facebook Profile   Friendster Profile

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Art of Getting By and get new posts delivered to your in-box daily!


powered by Bloglet
Subscribe with Bloglines

 

"This is the most exciting day of my life...and I was pulled on stage once to dance at a Bruce Springsteen concert."
30 Rock

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


This blog has been chosen
as a 2005 BEST

 

 

Thursday, July 29, 2004

Don't Hate Me Because I Like Cheese

Alright, so maybe this is officially so five minutes ago since Baxala got there first, but honestly, I too was reading the article in EW on guilty pleasures. In lamest terms, a guilty pleasure is stuff you really, really like but are embarrassed to admit...sometimes even to yourself. On EW's list my personal highlights were as follows:

1. Martin Short as Clifford - seriously have you seen this movie? "Act like a normal boy!"
2. Keanu Reeves in Paula Abdul's "Rush Rush"- it's James Dean revisted, only Dean died too soon while God Bless one-noted Keanu still seems to be going strong.
3. 1980's James Spader-Who doesn't love to hate this guy? Incidentally, I have Stargate Spader Valentine's day cards I found at the dollar store one day. Believe it baby!
4. Peter Cetera: The Solo Years- Could "Glory Of Love" BE any more romantic?!

Still, as great as these GP's were, I decided to share with you a few of my own, personal vices.

The Early Years

1.Kids Incorporated- Kids Inc was a show where kids (actual kids, not Jason Priestly-like posers) broke out in random, Top 40 songs and then in between their musical numbers they would have a dilemma or two (I'm talking they made Full House look deep here). We used to love this show so much, we would actually try to recreate it in the privacy of our own homes (don't ask). I'm still trying to recover though from how this got to this.

2. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun- This movie is hands down, the quintessential eighties cheesy chick flick. If you haven't seen it, run out and get it NOW. It stars Sarah Jessica Parker in a pre Sex In the City, pre hair straightener/relaxer days. She's a Catholic school girl who only dreams of wanting to dance on Dance TV. (notice a theme yet?) Also in the movie are "before they were stars who probably hate to admit they did this types", Shannen Doherty and Helen Hunt.

3.Mayonnaise On Bread-no this isn't some obscure singing group. It's the actual snack...mayonnaise on bread. I used to love to eat it...CONSTANTLY. No wondering how this girl had weight issues by the time she was eight. Thank God for puberty!

Preteen Years

1.Reading- Yes, this is a bit generic but for a period of time, reading was my life. I was always buying books and when I wasn't buying books I was taking books out of the library. When I wasn't reading or buying I was either standing in the store trying to finish the book before it was time to go home OR I was joining those nerdy, summer book clubs for kids who actually enjoyed reading, shudder to think.

2.Andrew Mccarthy- Again Greenie got to this one first. I actually went through many a celeb crushes in my day, but I think AC was my first serious one. Soon to be followed by Randall Batinkoff, Ricky Paull Goldin and culminating in Ethan Embry. (I can tell I lost you at the word 'by'.)

Adolescence

Soap Operas- No one, two or three here my friends. My adolescence was pretty much dominated by soap operas. I started early with Guiding Light. Before long I had moved on to Days. I started mixing Days with GL and a little AW thrown in. I'm at least six years sober now though and going strong, if you don't count nighttime soaps that is.

Present Day

1.VH1 Classic- Like a Disney Land for music videos, VH1 Classic is the quintessential channel for anyone who simply cannot get enough of music videos that used to have meaning and hair bands that were prettier than any girl I knew. Plus they EVEN have All Request Hours and a show called We Are the 80's...Shut up!

2.Clay Aiken- Listen. Every generation needs their own Barry Manilow. Don't worry Clay. Just own it.

3.Degrassi- This one is a recent discovery via the wonderful Noggin network. Sure it is aimed at kids about fifteen years younger than me. Or is it? Check out the episode titles (i.e."Don't Dream It's Over", "Take On Me", "Karma Chameleon"...) Plus, do THOSE kids remember when Caitlin had a seizure on the ORIGINAL Degrassi Jr. High? I don't think so! And with My So-Called Life reruns to boot, Noggin truly is a network after my own heart.

I realize that by divulging my guilty pleasures on this blog I am hereby breaking the cardinal rule OF guility pleasures which is not unlike the rule for The Fight Club: "You don't talk about guilty pleasures". But seriously, if you read any of my other nuggets of info you would know by now, I am a girl who clearly has no... shame. (alright, whose the wise guy who was going to say taste?)

 

 


Blog Roll [−]

Blogging Chicks [−]

Blogger Chicks [−]

Blog Linker [−]





Google
Futon Critic
IMDB
Melodic.net
80's TV Themes
Slyck
The Onion
Television Without Pity
Modern Humorist
Best Week Ever Blog
American Idol


Carnival-small

Who Links Here

Listed on Blogwise
Join BloggerChicks
Blog Flux Directory
ESL and EFL Blogs
Best news blogs

Nubbit Blog Directory

Bloggy Award

TFS 100 TopBlogs

Top Blogs Personal Personal Blogs Personal Blogs Top 

blogs

 

  online