My Wishlist

Runner-Up Best Overall Blog of 2005!

I'm a down to earth girl who loves to laugh at others...I mean make others laugh.
View my complete profile
Blogroll Me!   Review My Site   Site Feed MySpace Profile Facebook Profile   Friendster Profile

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Art of Getting By and get new posts delivered to your in-box daily!


powered by Bloglet
Subscribe with Bloglines

 

"This is the most exciting day of my life...and I was pulled on stage once to dance at a Bruce Springsteen concert."
30 Rock

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


This blog has been chosen
as a 2005 BEST

 

 

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Write Back Weekend: "Say What?!"

Welcome to the first ever Write Back Weekend! Aren't you glad your here? Just think, one day you can say you witnessed the inaugural WBW! You might have not been there when the first man walked on the moon. You may have missed Woodstock. But somehow, someway I'm convinced this will make up for all of that.

Your mission, if you chose to accept it, involved sharing a line from a song or a movie that has caused head scratching in the past.

There were many good lyics in last week's TITMT, including (believe it or not) a few that I planned to share as well. And speaking of sharing, why don't I just get on with it already?

Some of My Favorite Misheard Lyrics

1. "I'd Really Love To See You Tonight"- England Dan and John Ford Coley

What they are actually saying is:

"I'm not talking 'bout moving in,
And I don't want to change your life.
But there's a warm wind blowing,
The stars are out, and I'd really love to see you tonight."


But it sounds like they are saying...

"I'm not talking 'bout the linen, And I don't want to change your life..."

You may even remember this misheard lyric being referenced in the movie The Long Kiss Goodnight. Forgetful movie. Noteworthy line.

2. "Blinded By The Light"- Manfred Mann

What they are actually saying is:

"And she was blinded by the light
revved up like a deuce another runner in the night."


But it sounds like they are saying...

"And she was blinded by the light, wrapped up like a douche, another runner in the night..."

Only after listening to the song a few times do you realize the lyric simply cannot be about feminine products, can it? While I'm on the subject though, here's a chance to plug the snarky blog that's part of the side orders with the same name, Wrapped Up Like A Douche.

3. "Waterfalls"- TLC

What they are actually saying is:

"Don't go chasing waterfalls, please stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to."

But it sounds like they are saying...

"Don't go Jason, water falls."

Does inserting the name Jason make sense here? Not particularly. Are there boys named Jason who thought this song was speaking to them? Most definitely.

4. "Invisible Touch"- Genesis

It's interesting that Mandy would suggest this song too, but what makes this even more interesting is that our misheard interpretations are totally different.

What they are actually saying is:

"She seems to have an invisible touch yeah. She reaches in, and grabs right hold of your heart. She seems to have an invisible touch yeah. It takes control and slowly tears you apart."

Mandy's friend heard:

"She seems to have an invisible talk show..."

I heard:

"She seems to have a physical attraction. She reaches in, and grabs right hold of your heart. She seems to have a physical attraction. It takes control and slowly tears you apart."

I was 9. Sue me.

5. "You Outta Know"- Alanis Morissette

What they are actually saying is:

"It's not fair to deny me, of the cross I'd bear that you gave to me you, you, you outta know."

What my roommate in college heard was:

"It's not fair to deprive me, of the crossed-eyed bear that you gave to me...."


Say what you will about our relationship but leave my crosseyed bear out of it?!

6. "Saving All My Love For You"- Whitney Houston

What they are actually saying is:

"You used to tell me we'd run away together, love gives you the right to be free. You said be patient, just wait a little longer, but that's just an old fantasy."

What I heard:

"You used to tell me we'd run away together, love gives you the right to be free. You said be patient, just wait a little longer, but that's just an open top scene."

Open top scene. I guess I had a little too much Skinamax on the television as a child.

7. "Runaround Sue"- Dion

I'm ending with this one because it's an ongoing battle that still exists in my family today. It's also different than the lyrics above.

In the background of the song are they saying "hey, hey", "hep, hep" or "hurt, hurt"?

I say it's a plain ol "hey, hey", while my mom thinks it's the more prolific "hurt,hurt". Sadly, we may never know.

Finally, if you simply cannot get over the wax in people's ears, head on over to Am I Right.com whose tagline is "making fun of music, one song at a time."

 

 


Blog Roll [−]

Blogging Chicks [−]

Blogger Chicks [−]

Blog Linker [−]





Google
Futon Critic
IMDB
Melodic.net
80's TV Themes
Slyck
The Onion
Television Without Pity
Modern Humorist
Best Week Ever Blog
American Idol


Carnival-small

Who Links Here

Listed on Blogwise
Join BloggerChicks
Blog Flux Directory
ESL and EFL Blogs
Best news blogs

Nubbit Blog Directory

Bloggy Award

TFS 100 TopBlogs

Top Blogs Personal Personal Blogs Personal Blogs Top 

blogs

 

  online