My Wishlist

Runner-Up Best Overall Blog of 2005!

I'm a down to earth girl who loves to laugh at others...I mean make others laugh.
View my complete profile
Blogroll Me!   Review My Site   Site Feed MySpace Profile Facebook Profile   Friendster Profile

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Art of Getting By and get new posts delivered to your in-box daily!


powered by Bloglet
Subscribe with Bloglines

 

"This is the most exciting day of my life...and I was pulled on stage once to dance at a Bruce Springsteen concert."
30 Rock

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


This blog has been chosen
as a 2005 BEST

 

 

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Write Back Weekend: "Outside Looking In"

Last week's Tell It To Me Tuesday asked you to describe me in five or six prechosen words via my very own Johari Window.

I found it interesting that at least 25 of you think you know me based on the words I write here. And to think they say the eyes are the window to the soul.

But seriously, it was a rather "eye opening experience" reading how y'all see me. I've had fun contributing to many of your Johari Windows for the very same reason.

There's one really important thing I learned from doing this. The Johari system is a flawed one.

I know what're you thinking. NO DUH. But I say this because the choices are built in. I would really love to create a window that asked everyone what they thought of me without giving them a list of words to choose from. This is because when you provide a list, I think you end up putting words into people's minds that might have not even occurred to them otherwise.

It also would be really interesting to do a battle of the Johari's, one for your blogging friends, another for your "real life" friends and family and see how they compare. It's an impossible experiment to test out on lab rats, by the way.

And while we're on the topic of such words, I learned after I created my Johari window that there was also a darker Johari Window, a "tinted window" if you will. A lot of people think creating one of these windows takes bravery and/or true self loathing, but I have to disagree. In my opinion, nobody in this world can be described by purely perfect words unless of course, you know something I don't about there being a perfect person walking around somewhere.

Then again some of the tinted window words are pretty harsh. Where's a middle of the road Johari Window when you need one?

But enough of this mindless banter. On to the good stuff, the results.

Interestingly enough my "dominant traits" were intelligence, 52% and the ability to be witty, also 52%. The next highest percentages included knowledgeable 32%, observant 32%, clever 32% and cheerful 28%. I wouldn't choose all the same words that were dominant for me. Does that make them any less true though? This is what I wonder. If you're just dying to know more, the complete breakdown is available here.

I was pleasantly surprised the majority of you picked such nice words to describe me. In fact, I'm so surprised that I'm embarrassed that I just used the word "nice" to describe how I felt. I don't think nice is really that nice of a word. It's so played out it ain't even funny. So instead I retract my nice and I raise with the word "delighted". There, all better.

This is, of course, what everyone else said about me, not what I said about myself. But what did I say about myself? That's the million dollar question. Whatever I said, so did most of you, so apparently I live my life like a "window" that's been rolled down in efforts to let the fresh air in.

The words I would choose were: nervous, dependable, reflective, sensible, witty and even a dash of self conciousness was thrown in for good measure. Mix well, and I can be served to up to 8 to 10 people at any given time.

All in all, the Johari Window is not without it's quirks. I'll wait for Johari Window 2.0, thank you very much.

So to review, my perfect Johari window would be like an open ended essay question that asked you to come up with your own character traits and provide reasons for your selections.

My ideal window would also would be complemented by a window seat and excellent drapery.

 

 


Blog Roll [−]

Blogging Chicks [−]

Blogger Chicks [−]

Blog Linker [−]





Google
Futon Critic
IMDB
Melodic.net
80's TV Themes
Slyck
The Onion
Television Without Pity
Modern Humorist
Best Week Ever Blog
American Idol


Carnival-small

Who Links Here

Listed on Blogwise
Join BloggerChicks
Blog Flux Directory
ESL and EFL Blogs
Best news blogs

Nubbit Blog Directory

Bloggy Award

TFS 100 TopBlogs

Top Blogs Personal Personal Blogs Personal Blogs Top 

blogs

 

  online