My Wishlist

Runner-Up Best Overall Blog of 2005!

I'm a down to earth girl who loves to laugh at others...I mean make others laugh.
View my complete profile
Blogroll Me!   Review My Site   Site Feed MySpace Profile Facebook Profile   Friendster Profile

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Art of Getting By and get new posts delivered to your in-box daily!


powered by Bloglet
Subscribe with Bloglines

 

"This is the most exciting day of my life...and I was pulled on stage once to dance at a Bruce Springsteen concert."
30 Rock

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


This blog has been chosen
as a 2005 BEST

 

 

Sunday, August 08, 2004

You Would Mention It Too, If It Happened To You

Tonight I agreed to go to a free concert with my mom. The guest of honor was sixties pop singer, Lesley Gore. Right about now, some of you might be thinking you have no idea who Lesley Gore is and that once again, I've thrown you into an obscurely referenced, pop culture tailspin. Au contraire! If you've ever listened to an oldies radio station in 10 minute intervals, you have certainly heard Lesley's biggest hit, "It's My Party", among others.

Now that I've refreshed your memories, (and inadvertently placed that song on repeat in your minds), I will proceed with my story.

So mom and I are on our way to the concert. We go to pull out of the driveway and around the corner when we see two cars on the outer road. The one car proceeds to make a DEAD STOP in the middle of the intersection, not a busy intersection mind you, but an intersection nevertheless. Last time I checked this wasn't a good idea. Ever.

Luckily the car behind her had sense enough to turn and the woman driver (boys, keep your stereotypical comments to yourselves!) moved her car up a little bit, all the while flagging us down. As if we were going anywhere since like I've already covered, her car was blocking the intersection.

So, the woman gets out and comes over to the car and says:

Woman: Do you know how to get to the municipal complex?
My mom: Yes. We're going there....to see...YOU.
Woman/Lesley: Great! Can I follow you there?
My mom: Sure!

Lesley, excuse me, Ms. Gore, gets back into her car and follows us the whole two blocks to the center. Of course we knew the show was going to start a little late, you know, considering, she had gotten lost and all.
I felt like we were part of some movie where there's a random cameo of a semi-famous, former star like say, Scott Baio in Frank McClusky, C.I.. But it wasn't. It was real life. And it was in a word, surreal.

Once the laughter died down, we started to reflect on how sad it was that she was driving herself to her own concert, alone. We wondered about things like how much money she got for the gig, or where she got her driving license. Also how hard it must be to see folks get up and start packing the second you are halfway through your biggest hit. She only had one more song to follow, but even that was a gusty move when all of your other hits look like Jackie, Tito, Marlon and Jermaine to the shall we say, Michael Jackson moment of your career.

In case you were wondering, LG did give a shout out to my mom after her first song. I think most of the audience thought her story of getting lost was a feeble attempt at humor, but we knew better.

So that's my story, and I'll share it if I damn well want to.

 

 


Blog Roll [−]

Blogging Chicks [−]

Blogger Chicks [−]

Blog Linker [−]





Google
Futon Critic
IMDB
Melodic.net
80's TV Themes
Slyck
The Onion
Television Without Pity
Modern Humorist
Best Week Ever Blog
American Idol


Carnival-small

Who Links Here

Listed on Blogwise
Join BloggerChicks
Blog Flux Directory
ESL and EFL Blogs
Best news blogs

Nubbit Blog Directory

Bloggy Award

TFS 100 TopBlogs

Top Blogs Personal Personal Blogs Personal Blogs Top 

blogs

 

  online