My Wishlist

Runner-Up Best Overall Blog of 2005!

I'm a down to earth girl who loves to laugh at others...I mean make others laugh.
View my complete profile
Blogroll Me!   Review My Site   Site Feed MySpace Profile Facebook Profile   Friendster Profile

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Art of Getting By and get new posts delivered to your in-box daily!


powered by Bloglet
Subscribe with Bloglines

 

"This is the most exciting day of my life...and I was pulled on stage once to dance at a Bruce Springsteen concert."
30 Rock

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


This blog has been chosen
as a 2005 BEST

 

 

Friday, January 20, 2006

Where Have All The Cusacks Gone?

Growing up, I used to love to watch movies. Dramas. Comedies. Dramadies. You name it, I loved it.

But as I have gotten older, I have found less and less movies bring me joy. Rarely do I feel compelled to actually go to the movies to see anything. When I finally do see new movies I find I have less and less favorites each year. It's a mutual fallout. Both parties are to blame. The split has been amicable.

So the other day, while at Blockbuster, I naturally felt drawn to one film and one film only. That movie was Must Love Dogs starring the man, the myth, the legend...John Cusack.

In the eighties Cusack films were in a league of their own. There were comedies and then there were Cusack comedies. There were dramas and then there were Cusack dramas. Whether he was the kooky sidekick or the boxer who wanted to keep the girl, or he was the kooky high school skiier who didn't keep the girl, in my eyes, the man could simply do no wrong.

Now I know what you're thinking. Cusack has been making films for years so he didn't really "go" anywhere. Of course, you'd have a point. But my question to you is not whether Cusack is making films, but rather, is Cusack making the right films? Face it. Ashton Kutcher times infinity has nothing on JC.

In the eighties Cusack made cinema magic back to back. Class. Sixteen Candles. The Sure Thing. Stand By Me. One Crazy Summer. Say Anything. He was like Emeril "bamming" us all over the place.

But then the nineties rolled around and it seemed Cusack wanted to have a little character. He wanted to be taken seriously as an adult. He wanted to branch out. So he made films like The Grifters, True Colors, Bob Roberts, Bullets Over Broadway and the horrible, horrible, The Road To Wellville.

While I admire Cusack's charisma, these movies were like going to your favorite restaurant and ordering the special, but getting a really crappy meal. On the way home you're kicking yourself that you just didn't order your usual hamburger. Well, Cusack is the hamburger who's been venturing into "special of the day" territory for far too long now.

That's not to say all that is special about Cusack has disappeared. We have seen glimpses over it over the years. He made movies like Grosse Pointe Blank, Being John Malkovich, High Fidelity, America's Sweethearts and Serendipity. But I'm here to say that a little bit is just not enough.

Before you know it, the absence of Cusack from films like these had a ripple effect. They stopped making movies like this, period because once Cusack wasn't making 'em, and Hugh Grant all but retired from Hollywood, there was nobody left to fill those shoes.

Then Must Love Dogs came along.

Is this movie cinema perfection? No. Is it even Cusack's best movie ever? Hardly. It is instead a wonderful reminder of what Cusack and the viewing public once shared.

Watch as Cusack does his classic rambling! Marvel as Cusack delivers smart ass comments and still manages to look cute! It's all the Cusack you knew and loved, minus the requisite Joan Cusack appearance that is.

Now I'd love to be able to tell you that Must Love Dogs marks the return of Cusack to his rightful place as the king or romantic dramady. That the dry spell is over. The Berlin Wall of crappy script writing has fallen. But one look at IMDB and I know this is just not the case. There are no known romantic comedies starring Cusack waiting in the wings. There's not even a Must Love Dogs 2: Can I Get A Woof? Woof? in the works. Sad I know, but true.

So while I wait for the "suits" to wake up to the hard cold facts, I will savor the crumbs of Cusack Hollywood throws at me.

And just as he gave us his heart, I give you this post.

 

 


Blog Roll [−]

Blogging Chicks [−]

Blogger Chicks [−]

Blog Linker [−]





Google
Futon Critic
IMDB
Melodic.net
80's TV Themes
Slyck
The Onion
Television Without Pity
Modern Humorist
Best Week Ever Blog
American Idol


Carnival-small

Who Links Here

Listed on Blogwise
Join BloggerChicks
Blog Flux Directory
ESL and EFL Blogs
Best news blogs

Nubbit Blog Directory

Bloggy Award

TFS 100 TopBlogs

Top Blogs Personal Personal Blogs Personal Blogs Top 

blogs

 

  online